S I X T E E N

Every single syllable of every single word she had said to him hit him harder than the punches he received during his biggest fights. It could've been considered a confession, but what exactly was she confessing? That she had been thinking about him? What exactly could he call that?

"Hey, boss, Viktor wants to schedule a meeting with you, said something about disrespecting Mike again or something," Leo, the clubs tech guy, said, entering his office in the club house.

"Set it up for tonight," Donovan spoke, standing to his feet and throwing his leather jacket on. "I'm heading out for a ride. Make sure the boys do their runs for the day, anything they don't do you tell me, got it?"

The rather young kid nodded his head quickly and left the room followed by Donovan. 

"Jareth and Nico, make sure you do your runs today, got it? You skip them again and you're in charge of clean up," Donovan threatened the two members, one with a beer in hand the other with a hooker's tongue down his throat.

"Yeah, we got it boss," Nico responded, giving him a thumbs up.

Donovan hopped on his all-black bike and sped off back to his penthouse on the hillside, just a five minute ride from the club house. He had left Lina there after last night. What was he going to tell her when she woke up and found out she wasn't at home but in his house?

"Oh, my God," Lina had said once she had awoken, finding herself in the very familiar room; Donovan's bedroom, in his house. She was there.

For a second she was confused and then the memories of the night before hit her like a wave and she groaned at the throbbing pain in her head. She had made a complete fool of herself and not only that, she practically spilled her most embarrassing feelings to him. 

"How embarrassing," she whimpered to herself, rubbing her temples.

"I'm guessing you remember what happened then," her head snapped up at the sound of Donovan's voice and she, involuntarily, pulled the covers closer to her chest.

"Dammit Donovan, why were you there?"

"You didn't give me a good enough reason for calling off last night," he shrugged. "I just went to investigate."

"Yeah right!" she screeched, hopping out of the bed.

Instantly, his eyes fell on the lower half of her body and she looked down, completely shocked to find that the comfy clothes she was wearing last night were gone and replaced with one of his shirts. Gasping at the sight of her bare legs, she grabbed the sheet off the bed and covered herself, shooting a glare at Donovan.

"Dammit, you changed my clothes?"

"You threw up all over yours," he said. "You didn't want to go home either so I had no other choice."

Sighing in defeat, she fell back on the bed, rubbing her forehead tiredly. "You don't happen to have coffee here, do you?"

* * * * *

"Look, I'm sorry about last night but don't hold it against me," she barked, taking a sip of her hot coffee.

"I didn't even know doctor's get drunk, or even drink for that matter."

"We all fall apart sometime," she said, yet again, yet she did not even realize she said the same line to him last night. "Last night...it had become a ritual to do that every year on her anniversary."

"You're more stupid than I had thought," he grumbled, chugging down a bottle of water.

"And you're more of a health-nut than I had thought," she snapped back. "I'll just go home and get out of your hair."

* * * * *

And boy was he eager to get her back home. Lina, of course, took it the wrong way but Donovan couldn't concentrate, couldn't sleep, and couldn't comprehend anything while she was there; wearing his clothes.

He was never really effected by a woman this much. Yes, he enjoyed the company of the club whores and sometimes the women who approached him after fights but, nowadays, it was only this woman that stopped him, that changed his behavior.

They had pulled up to Lina's clinic and she was quick to get off and hand him the helmet.

"You're showing up for work tonight," he said, not asking but stating.

"Yes, I will," she assured him, turning to leave but he stopped her.

"Be careful, Lina," he said, head snapping around from his comment. "There are people targeting you now. If anything happens you call me. The police won't do anything, they aren't trust worthy."

"Right," was all she said, waving him off.

"I mean it, Lina," he said, looking her deep in the eye, his blue eyes swarming with so many emotions. "You call me if anything happens, got it?"

"Yeah, I got it. I'll see you tonight, alright?"

Nodding, she turned and entered the clinic, heading up to the comfort of her home, ignoring the concerned looks she got from Diane and Leslie.

* * * * *

Lina never thought that she would feel so uneasy coming to the Coliseum but she did. She sat in Donovan's dressing room, staring out the window to watch his fight but she couldn't concentrate. She was too worried that someone she didn't know would enter, that someone would come to hurt her, kidnap her, even. Her mind raced with scenarios of what could happen and each of them ended badly for her.

"Dr. Lina," she nearly jumped out of her skin at the voice and she turned around quickly, keeping close to the wall as she looked Mike in the eye, who had entered with several of his guards. "So nice to properly meet you."

She, being consumed with fear, just swallowed and nodded; not trusting her voice enough to speak. He stepped closer to her, trapping her between him and the wall, leaving her in a very vulnerable situation.

"If you tell me what I want to know I won't kill you, Dr. Lina," he had whispered, grabbing her face to speak directly into her ear. His hot breath set a disgusted chill down her spine and she whimpered. "Where does he live?"

Her eyes widened and she bit her lip. His hand lowered down to her throat and he squeezed it, cutting off her air-flow. "Where does Donovan Ander live, Dr. Lina?" he asked again, releasing her to let her speak.

She coughed and hacked, falling to her knees to catch her breath. She let out a disgusted laugh and looked up at him. "I'm sorry, but patient information is confidential. I will have to get Mr. Ander's consent to give out information like that--" just then, Mike kicked her in the gut, not allowing her to finish her banter.

The wind was knocked right out of her and she fell on all fours, one arm clutching her stomach as she gasped for breath, drops of blood leaving her lips.

Mike snapped his fingers, but Lina couldn't muster up the strength to lift her head. "Get her in the car. I want to ask her some more questions. Keep Donovan off our trail, clean the mess. Make it look like she left early, got it?"

With that, Lina lifted her head enough to watch Mike leave the room and one of the guard waked over to her, pulling out a gun and knocking her upside the head. Darkness quickly consumed her and she fell limply on the floor.

Out of all the scenarios she had thought up in her mind, this was her first guess and it wasn't going to end well...for her.