F O R T Y T H R E E

"If I see him I am leaving," I warned my father, whom stood over me beaming at me like a kid in a candy store. More than happy about the fact that I decided to accept the position as club doctor knowing full-well the consequences of being this close to the man I absolutely hated and loved. "I am not kidding. Don't take me lightly."

"Oh, trust me. I don't," he chuckled, showing me down the hall of the clubhouse to the end of the hall, opposite of where Donovan's office was, and opened the double doors to reveal the perfect sized clinic set-up. It was like a nurses office in a High School or something. It was hard for me to hide my excitement as I entered the little set-up to fully capture the entirety of it.

There were six beds, three on each wall. On the wall where the door was was a counter with a sink and multiple supplies on the counter top and cabinets hiding the rest of the supplies. In front of the counters was a single operating table with the entire set-up around it. I bit my lip, trying so hard to seem pissed about this entire situation but I couldn't. It was perfect, it was so cute and small, it almost reminded me of the days when my very first clinic had started out like this. It was nostalgic and comforting.

"You like it a lot, then?"

I let out a defeated breath, nodding my head. "I can't lie," I admitted, staring at the room in awe. "I love it." I walked around the room, running my hand over the beds and curtains. "It's been a while since I've been this happy."

"Well, that's good to hear," he said, smiling warmly at me. "I was very worried you'd regret coming."

"I was very much considering not coming," I told him, sighing afterward. "I don't know what changed my mind. It was only a small part of me that wanted to show up, it somehow won over my much more reasonable self-concision."

He walked over and gave me a quick peck on the cheek, smiling very brightly. "Well, I'll leave you to set up things how you want them. If anyone needs you they'll either holler or come in," he said, slinging his cut back on and smoothing his hair back. "Oh, and, make sure Donovan doesn't see you. Bye!" he said, trying to leave the room without any further discussion.

"Hold it!" I snapped, pointing an accusing finger at him. "What do you mean don't let him see me? Does he not know?"

"Well..." he began, rubbing the back of his neck sheepishly.

I grumbled audibly, shutting my eyes. "Please tell me you are joking, dad. Please be joking."

"I wish I was."

"How the hell can I be here when I'm not actually supposed to be here?" I whispered to him angrily, pressing an accusing finger into his chest. "Damn you! You tricked me! I can't work under this kind of pressure! How do you expect me to hide away from him like this? He is straight down the hall you jackass!"

"Okay, okay, alright. Calm down," he said, keeping his voice down now. "There's a back door, over there. It's in the storage room. There are two doors, here's the key to both of them. There's about twelve locks on each door and a security code. You'll go in through there. None of the other members are going to utter a damn word about this. He won't even know."

"We are talking about the same Donovan, right?" I snapped, slapping him on the chest. "He's gonna find out!"

"He won't," he assured me, grabbing my shoulders. "I'm telling you he won't."

"This is his club, this is his clubhouse. How do you expect him not to find out? He's going to realize sooner or later that his men aren't just healing on the spot. You can't hide me here. I can't do my job like this."

"Then so what if he finds out? He'd be the only one to vote you out of the club, the entire club is backing you up on this. Even if he does find out, he'd most likely let you alone, you've got nothing to worry about."

"Nothing? Nothing? Nothing to worry about?" I snapped, sighing angrily. "How can you be so damn dense, he should know."

"W-wait!" he shouted, trying to catch up to me as I stormed out of the room and down the hall to the all-too-familiar office doors. I ripped my arm out of my fathers grasp several times along the way, pushing the two doors open and immediately freezing dead in my tracks.

There he was. Sitting behind that same damn desk in all his gorgeous glory. Still tall, still bulky, still rough-looking. His beard was over-grown and unkempt, his Mohawk much longer now and tied in the messiest bun. His piercing blue eyes met mine and the breath was removed from my lungs instantly, the world around me froze in place and I forgot the entire reason why I had slammed through his office doors.

Focus!

I cleared my throat, catching the shocked look on his face as he looked directly at me. I straightened myself in a poor attempt to look calm and cleared my throat once more. It was awfully silent, the two of us continued our stare-down with each other, him successfully making me forget, once again, why I entered in the first place.

Nearly seven months without seeing him, without seeing his face. Seven months. 

"Do you want me to make your fantasy come true and tell you I love you and then take you off into Wonder-World? Grow up. You're so desperate I had to do something."

His words were like a ringing in my ear. Even after all the head-trauma I had from the accident and the temporary amnesia, I still remembered his words. I remembered every damn syllable, every damn word, I remember his face, the seriousness in his eyes, everything.

"Since I am so desperate," I began, my eyes immediately flashing with fury. "I beg you. Allow me to be your club doctor," I mocked, pretending to beg.