T W E N T Y S E V E N

LINA

"I'm seriously going to vomit!" I screeched from the bathroom to the three girls that sat in my bedroom. "Not just any kind of vomit--projectile vomittation!"

"How did you even get yourself into this mess, Lina?" Mia laughed. "Look at how stressed you are."

"Yeah, well, I have no idea what to expect--at all," I admitted. "I didn't even mean to volunteer it just came out before I could even think. Now, I am expected to show up to lunch with my fake fiancee."

"But you look very nice," Leslie said. "This dress is perfect for a first-time meeting the in-laws."

I stared down at the long black maxi dress that was slim-fitting and put a deep grey cardigan over it. I loosely curled my hair and applied a little make-up, afraid to over do it.

"Okay, seriously, you look perfect for a casual lunch. Now relax, everything will go okay. Once you start talking the entire hour and a half with go by in the blink of an eye."

"Wait, hold on," Mia said, stopping me as I was about to leave. "A ring. You need a ring. Fiancee or wife, you need a ring."

"I don't have anything that's expensive looking!" I shouted defensively.

"I do," said Donovan from the entrance of the clinic, entering in with all his glory.

He looked too good in his dark grey pants and loose fitting blue button-up shirt with the sleeves rolled up to his elbows and his beard trimmed and hair put up in a messy bun. I could nearly take my eyes off the man and, suddenly, I grew more nervous than ever before. He approached me in a few strides and gently grabbed my left hand, placing a very beautiful ring on my ring finger.

I stared down at my hand and was more shocked to see how small my hand looked in Donovan's and, probably, how short I looked compared to him. 

"Where the hell did you get such a beautiful ring?" I asked, now finally noticing it's beauty. It was simple yet stunning. 

"It was my grandmother's," he explained. "My grandfather gave it to me when she passed. Surely, it will catch his attention."

"Clever," I admitted, actually impressed by his good thinking. 

"We should go," he said, his voice deep and filled with anticipation. "He's probably already there."

I nodded and quickly turned to my girls. "Please, stay in my home until I get back," I whispered to them and they nodded in understanding and waved me good-bye.

This is going to be a long day.

* * * * *

"Grandfather," Donovan said to the man who looked like an old Donovan. He was tall and muscular as well, clad in a tan suit, his white hair slicked back and his white beard left to grow wildly. He stood to the same height as Donovan and held hid gold-ringed hand out to me for me to shake. "This is my fiancee, Lina Olsen."

I smiled happily and shook it hand firmly, like any person would. "It's a pleasure to meet you--?"

"Oh, please, call me Owen," he said, his voice deep and raspy. "Please, you two, have a seat."

I took a seat beside Donovan, the both of us sitting across from his grandfather. 

"I had no idea you were dating," Owen said to Donovan, his legs crossed and his hands folded. "This is quite a surprise."

"It's barely going to be a year in a few months," Donovan said, once again, his face void of all emotions.

"Wonderful, now, tell me--how did you two meet?" he asked.

I looked at Donovan from the corner of my eye and he looked a bit lost for words so I stepped in.

"Well, you see, it's actually quite a weird story," I began, flashing him a smile. "I own a clinic a few blocks from here and I live on the second floor so--one night--I heard a horrible crashing sound from my clinic and I rushed down to see who was trying to break in and, sure enough, it was Donovan. It was actually quite funny, I saw one of his fights the night before so it was a bit alarming. However, he was badly injured and needed medical attention but he kept refusing my help. I ended up treating him but...when I looked into his eyes..." I explained turning to look at Donovan, who was already staring at me, and smiled up at him. "--and I just knew. It was like sparks in those blue eyes."

Prying my eyes away from his, I turned towards Owen and smiled.

Good work, you just managed to fall in love with him even more than before. Great job!

"That is quite the funny story. Who knew you two would meet each other from him breaking into your clinic?" he laughed, a horrifically wicked laugh.

"It's not like it sounds, truly, he paid for all the damages if that's what you're worried about," I laughed, relieved to find him laughing as well.

"You two are just so...different. A wonderfully unique relationship. So, tell me. When is the wedding?"

Now it was both me and Donovan's time to panic. We looked to each other and than back at Owen.

"December."

"June."

We both said at the same time. We laughed nervously.

"Fall."

"Spring."

We said again. I laughed sheepishly. "As you can see, we haven't made up our minds yet," I explained to him.

"Totally reasonable," Owen laughed. "Believe it or not, but me and my past wife--we argued for months over when it should be. We were stuck between August and December. Finally, though, his father, when he was about four, stepped in and said 'Well why not have it in October?' And we did. We had a Halloween Wedding that was truly spectacular."

"How cute," I laughed.

"I see he already gave you her ring," Owen spoke, looking at my hand. "You must be the one."

"What?" I asked.

"Grandpa," Donovan warned but Owen continued.

"I gave Donovan that ring a few years after my wife passed away. I told him that he should only give that ring to the one he truly loves, the one he loves more than himself. Not a day goes by that I don't miss my wife. It is as people say, it is the most painful thing to lose your other half. You must be his other half."

Now, all I wanted to do was cry. I was nearly on the brink of tears. I didn't want to fool this man, but I also didn't want to see Donovan suffer anymore. But I also wanted to cry because Donovan gave me this ring, knowing all of that and even knowing that this was fake so why would he do that?

* * * * *

By the time I got home I was nothing but a walking zombie, completely drained from all life. I gave Donovan a quick wave and went up to my home in a sprint and nearly cried the instant I stepped foot in the comfort of my home.

"Lina? How'd it go?" my friends asked but I was already crying.

"We didn't tell his grandfather today," I whimpered, laying on the floor in my living room and crying pathetically.

"What's the matter?"

"I don't like fooling this old man anymore," I cried. "I thought it'd just be one and done but...but--Jesus I don't know! It's all wrong! So wrong!"

"Well," they asked. "What are you going to do?"

"The next time we see him we'll ask for Donovan to get out and then we'll call off the wedding when he's out and I'll become a damn ghost."