T H I R T Y S E V E N

"How's she doing?" Diane asked Aaron upon entering the hospital room.

It was quiet in there besides the sound of the oxygen tank pumping air into her and the slow beep of the heart monitor. Aaron sat close beside the bed, holding onto Lina's hand desperately.

Aaron had shown up right after Donovan visited, he didn't bother asking Donovan why he was there; he was more concerned with seeing Lina again.

"About the same," he spoke, his voice laced with exhaustion. "The doctor said she's progressing. He's hoping she might awaken within the next two weeks."

"Didn't he say the same thing last time?" she asked, setting her purse down and sitting on the other side of Lina's bed.

Aaron nodded, staring down at her pale hand.

"Was Donovan here?" she asked, looking at Aaron.

He looked up at her for a moment and then looked back down at Lina, watching as another stray tear ran down the side of her face. "Yeah, he was."

"Aaron," Diane called, catching his attention. "You should go home and get some rest."

"I can't rest."

"You're exhausted, I can tell," she said. "She'll be alright, I promise. If anything happens I'll call you immediately."

He was hesitant but he knew she was right. He sighed heavily and rubbed his eyes tiredly and stood up, slowly. "You're right," he said, looking down at Lina. "I'll see you later, Diane," he said quietly, looking at Lina one last time and then exiting the room.

"You have to come back soon, Lina," Diane whispered, watching Lina intently. "We're all waiting. It's too soon for you to leave."

Silence fell and Diane found herself slowly breaking apart. 

* * * * *

Lina had been in a coma for almost two months now. Donovan only visited her once and after he visited her, she began to start doing the smallest movements in her sleep. Moving a finger, her eyes twitching, crying; the doctors were sure she'd be awakening soon.

The short moment while no one visited her in the hospital, Lina began to move in her sleep. At first it was small, her finger moving, and then her head shook slowly until her eyes slowly opened and the heart monitor began to beep more frequently.

Upon the sudden change, a little beep went off in the hallway, notifying a nearby nurse. The young nurse practitioner working the night-shift entered her room and saw Lina's eyes open and immediately called the doctor in.

* * * * *

"Ms. Lina? Can you follow my finger?" the doctor asked, slowly moving his finger back and fourth in front of her, watching as her eyes followed it. "Can you tell me your full name?"

"Angelina Maria Hansen," she rasped, sounding absolutely drained.

"Perfect, now, Angelina, do you remember what happened?"

She shook her head, finding speaking to be too straining. 

"You have been in a coma for two months now, you were in a very bad accident," he explained to her slowly, watching her as her eyebrows furrowed. "You'll have to spend a lot of time in rehab to get moving again but for now, we're going to let you waken up a bit and we're going to run some more tests, alright?"

She nodded and watched them leave. She was confused, her head ached. She slowly recalled what happened; the car accident. She wanted to know what happened to the driver. However, now was not the time to be thinking about the driver, she should be thinking about herself.

The bed propped her upright and she looked down at herself. Her arm was in a cast, her leg too, she could hardly feel her legs. Her throat was dry, her lips cracked, she was hungry too. 

"Lina!" she recognized that voice and watched as her father entered the hospital room, rushing over to her side immediately. "My God, you're awake. How do you feel?"

"Like I just got hit by a truck," she said, laughing weakly.

He laughed weakly as well, looking so tired but so relieved.

Later on, Amanda, Mia, Leslie and Diane came and visited, all of them so incredibly happy that she was finally awake.

"How's the clinic?" she asked them, using her non-broken arm to slowly eat the hospital food. 

"Straight out of a coma and you're already worrying about work," Mia joked, the three of them eating fast food they grabbed before coming to visit her. "The clinic is fine, there's nothing you need to worry about. We kept things running while you were...here."

"How are you feeling, Lina?" Leslie asked.

"I can move my arm, I can move my toes...a little. I can't really feel my legs though and my arm, there's a dull pain," she told them. "Other than that I feel fine."

"Have they told you how long rehab will take?" Amanda asked.

"They said maybe two months, I start next week," she explained to them, eating her green jello carefully.

Just then, the doctor stepped in and nodded to her friends, looking at Lina, holding a clipboard. "Alright, Ms. Lina. The MRI scan on your brain shows no unusual activity, do you feel light-headed, nauseous?"

Lina shook her head. 

"Perfect, you blood tests all look good as well, respiration looks good as well. If you'd like, we could start rehab sooner," he suggested.

"Is that an option?" she asked.

"In the next few days your arm and leg should be healed so we could start after that."

"Yes, please. I'm tired of sitting here."

"Alright, when the time comes we'll get you ready," he said and then exited the room.

"When will you tell us what the hell happened the night of your accident?" Mia finally spoke, the three of them looking at her with the same amount of curiosity.

"Another time," she told them, her voice growing incredibly weaker as she recalled the fight her and Donovan had the night of her accident. A few stray tears dripped down her face as she recalled the painful memories. 

During the two months she was asleep, she only dreamed of Donovan.