Discernment

The storm rumbled off outside, as I got dressed for work. It would be a slow night. No one ever wanted to brave the roads when the rains came in. No one but me.

I had no choice. My rent was coming up, and even though Mr. Blake had helped me with my time off, funds were still tight. I needed the income, but I hated the idea of leaving my safehold. My dream was still haunting me. The drenched sheets in the wash, weren't helping matters.

I shook off my concerns and headed out the door. I was soaked in seconds, by the downpour that met me, and hurried to the warmth of my car. I shivered as I started the engine. As I rang out my hair I realized, it was going to be a very long night.

Things didn't improve when I arrived at the bar. Stacy was already switching the register over. Mr. Blake  decided to send her home. She had barely scraped up thirty dollars for the day. I let out a heavy sigh as she informed me, but if we were slow, I didn't need to have my tips split up that night.

The customers that night were mostly regulars. Almost no one ordered any food. The group was strictly out to drown some sorrows, and it only made the hours drag on.

When I noticed a new patron, out of the corner of my eye, I felt a small rush of excitement. It was promptly destroyed when I saw who it was. The asshole was already smiling at me. I let my eyes roll, and walked over to pull out a coaster for him.

"You want your usual?" I asked, reaching for a glass.

"I want whatever you recommend Jo." He replied, flipping the coaster over his fingers.

He seemed to be in far better spirits than usual. I looked him over, unsure of how to take his slight excitement as he waited. He seemed to laugh at my bewilderment, and I shook my head, trying to bring my thoughts back to his request. I pulled out the bottle of Basil Hayden's. It wasn't a bourbon I had tried, but the dreams of three years suggested it was a respectable brand.

I left out the ice. I wasn't sure if he would care, but I sat the glass down in front of him without a word. He lifted it to his lips, and when the glass pulled away I watched him bite down on his lower one, mulling over the liquid in his mouth.

"You have good taste." He finished after swallowing.

"I've never actually tried it." I shrugged. "Just a guess. It has to better than well stuff you get all the time."

He watched me as I pulled out a rag to wipe down the bar from a patron that had just left. His eyes followed me to the register, I could feel them burning through the back of my neck. It was more than irritating. He had no right to keep staring.

"Did you need something else?" I asked, raising a brow and cocking my head to one side as I faced him again.

"Nope." Was his only reply, as he lifted his glass back to his lips.

His eyes stayed focused on me though. His face was soft with something. Something like adoration, but there was no reason for it. I strode up to the bar in front of him and leaned over to whisper.

"Can you please stop watching me. You're creeping me out, and quite frankly, I wish you would just leave." My tone stayed level. I couldn't risk my boss hearing my words, but it had gone on long enough.

The asshole didn't move. His expression seemed a bit taken back by my venting, but an evil grin snuck over his face. The contact of his hand suddenly on mine startled me. I had been combing over his face and didn't see it moving in my direction. I flinched and attempted to recoil my hand from his, but the words from his lips held me in place.

"I don't believe you." He menaced, and I felt my breathing hitch.

The fluid trying to make its way down my throat, felt lodged on its path. My words were lost somewhere else. They were a mess of entangled emotions, each fighting to be the best response for him.