Allegiance

The days were maddening! I hated being stuck inside all the time. Damion had refused to let me return to work, and Mr. Blake had assumed I was trying to hide from the group that had come into the bar. He offered to call the police, but I lied and said I already had. That story had caught up with me though. I had already missed four days, and Damion had disappeared to handle things, with his brother.

I couldn't get a word out of him about it. In retaliation, I had refused to share anything else about my dreams.
He unfortunately didn't seem to mind. He was fixated on his phone most of that time. I knew he was distant, but I also knew he wasn't feeding properly. That fact alone, would keep any vampire on edge. Especially one in such close proximity to a human at all hours.

It was my decision to have him leave for a feed. I hadn't expected him to be gone for days, and I hated the fact that no matter how many times I would try to call him, I would only receive a text in response. Just a short message, letting me know he was fine and he loved me. It wasn't enough to keep me sain.

Despite my better judgement, I decided to leave the house. In truth, I knew one place he would surely be, and I had stayed away from it, nearly the whole time I had been in town. Aside from the one, and only time, I drove by to see if it was real. Of course it had been, but at the time, I dare not drive up to see who was home.

I hurried to brush out my locks and add a gloss to my lips. My appearance should have been the least of my concerns. Wearing a white sundress was an even worse idea, but I didn't know. I only knew I missed Damion, and I didn't want him to focus on being angry that I left the apartment.

As I rushed to my car, I checked my surroundings. The sun was shining. The pavement radiated waves of heat as it shone down around me. The birds were singing their tune, and not one cloud was in the sky. It looked like a perfect day. Nothing could go wrong.

As I made my way down the streets of Liberty, I felt my stomach knot in hesitation. The spot where Nathaniel had kissed me was in view. I hadn't seen him since, but I didn't want to think on it either. I tried to shrug it off and continue my trek to the house, but a group caught my eye.

Nicole was leaned against a car I hadn't seen before. I didn't recognize the woman next to her either. I tried to slow down to get a clearer view, but I nearly slammed on the breaks when I saw Damion and his brother exiting a bar near the vehicle. Damion seemed annoyed, but that didnt stop him from pulling the unknown woman around the back of the car and open the door for her to get in. His brother helped Nicole inside and hurried to place himself in the driver's seat. I watched the car pull out in my rearview mirror and saw it heading in the opposite direction of where I was going.

Without thinking, I spun myself around and began to follow them. I kept two cars between us at all times, but I could see them as I persisted.

What are you doing Jo?

I kept repeating the question to myself. This wasn't like me. This wasn't a good idea. I'm still not sure how I expected it to end, but I kept on driving.

Our venture took us to the outskirts of town. A place even drearier and less inhabited than Blackwater itself.

Turn around Jo.

I still had a sense of rational thinking. I wasn't listening to it though. To be honest, it was probably the last time I ever heard it speak up.

As the roads became more narrow, and the buildings on either side had become empty space for miles, I wondered where on earth we were headed. There was only one car between us by this point. Though I was sure they had no idea I was following, I didn't want the only thing separating us to turn down a path and expose me.