Chapter Twelve

I waited for his canines to sink into my bare neck and for him to claim me. It's what my wolf had wanted before and during the Ascension and it's what I wanted right now. The more I stayed away from him, the more I craved him.

Before he could prick me with his teeth, he took a deep breath and backed away, still with me in his embrace. His eyes fought between the deep forest green and the glowing gold. He furrowed his eyebrows together and his teeth retracted into his mouth.

"I-I can't," he breathed.

"Why not? Do you not want me anymore?" I asked. I knew the answer to the question, but with all of the drama going on between Luca and Damon, I wouldn't be surprised if he told me he didn't.

His eyes widened. "Of course, I want you. All I want to do is to take you to bed with me and cherish you like I should've from the beginning, but... but, I'm trying to control my wolf better for you. I know that you still have feelings for Luca and I don't want to mark you if you still love him."

I inhaled sharply as he dropped his hands from my waist and fidgeted around with his fingers. Taking them in my hands, I placed them back on my waist. "Well, we can still have a friendly dance, can't we?" I asked.

A smile tugged at his lips as his eyes struggled to accept that he just passed up an offer to mark me. For the next few moments we swayed in each other's embrace, lost in our own thoughts. Silence sat peacefully around us.

I needed to learn how to control my own thoughts and needs. It seems like since last night, everything has become more intense, especially my affection for Damon. I feel like making hasty decisions without thinking them through. Maybe, the power was what caused my mother to torture wolves to make them stronger. Maybe, for her, it was too strong, and she couldn't handle it.

The Night God told me I outlasted my mother by six hours. I had more strength than she ever did, and I needed to learn how to use it wisely. I needed to make sure I wanted something or someone fully before I pursued it.

My eyes fluttered closed and I rested my head on Damon's chest, listening to the soft thump of his heart. I wish I could stay in his arms forever.

After yawning against his chest, Damon pulled away and offered to walk me back to the cabin. As we trailed down the dirt path, the moon flowers lit our way. The bright moon illuminated the dark sky above us and I smiled. Damon glanced over at me a few times and I noticed he smiled as well. Our hands grazed against each other as we walked, and I had a strong urge to intertwine our fingers together. I inhaled sharply as Damon took the lead and grabbed my hand after we had brushed up against each other more than once.

Tingles shot up my skin and a warm sensation spread throughout my body. I inched closer to him, shuffling against him. As we approached the cabin, Valerio opened the front door and crossed his arms over his chest. Damon immediately dropped my hand and a tinge of rejection pierced through me.

"I'll see you tomorrow, hopefully," Damon smiled down at me. The moon light illuminated his face. I nodded. I watched as he turned, and his figure disappeared down the dimly lit path.

Taking a deep breath, I reluctantly turned back to a Valerio. A scowl set on his face. "You were with Damon."

I walked towards him. "Yes... Why do you look so angry?" I asked.

He stepped out of the doorway, letting me in the house, and shut the door behind us. "I don't like him."

"Why not?" I narrowed my eyes at him. I know Damon hurt me in the past, but so did my mother. He still liked her until she died.

He turned to his room and walked into it, ignoring me.

"I asked you a question, Valerio. Don't just ignore me," I demanded.