Chapter Thirty-Three

Luca, Damon, Valerio, and I walked back to The Protector's home. I would've just teleported if I could, but I didn't trust Luca or Damon not to kill each other.

So, we walked in silence. Absolute silence. With only the wind whistling lowly.

After what seemed like hours of awkward tension between us, the borders to our property came into view. My eyes connected with the security guard that had caught and dragged Luca back to the house a couple of days ago. He eyed Luca carefully, his brow raising.

I forced a smile on my face, nodding softly at him. He allowed us to pass, but his eyes stayed on Luca as if he still didn't trust him.

Once we made it through the dense forest, the pack house came into view. Aaisha stood outside the door, hands on her hips. When she finally saw us, her nose wrinkled. "Why is he here?" She gestured to Luca, yet her eyes stayed on me.

My eyes flickered from hers to a small silver object emerging from under her waistband. I cocked my brow at it. "Why is that here?"

She pulled her shirt down, hiding it under this thin material, and then shrugged. "For protection from assholes."

"What's protection from-" Luca began.

"I ain't talking to you," Aaisha said, turning away from him.

Luca sighed, the corners of his lips turning down. His big brown eyes hoping for connection with his old friend, but falling when she refused.

I frowned. He's been acting like a dick lately, but he just wanted someone to be with, he just wanted a friend.

Maybe, if he had a second-chance mate he'd stop attacking Damon's pack. Maybe, if he had a second-chance mate he'd be happy - truly happy. Maybe, I should grant him one.

Taking one last look at Luca, I turned back to Aaisha. "Luca is here to help. You don't need protection from him."

"Mmhmm."

I linked my arm with hers, pulling her through the door to my home. I pulled her along swiftly until we were a good distance from the guys as we walked towards my office. "We need to talk about Richard." I leaned in closer to her.

She stiffened for a moment as I spoke his name but brushed it off as if it was nothing. "What about that lame ass piece of-"

"Has he hurt you?" I cut her off, not being able to stop myself. I'm sure Aaisha could handle herself, but I needed to make sure he hasn't even tried hurting her.

He attacked Damon - one of his allies. I've been seeing the more feral, more aggressive side of him lately, and I was hoping that he hadn't been bringing this aggressive behavior home with him.

She pulled away from me. "Ya know, if he hurt me I'd hurt his ass right back. Ain't nobody gonna hit me without paying the price."

A joyless laugh escaped my lips. "I know that Aaisha. You probably scare the hell out of him. But... what about mentally? Emotionally? Has he hurt you?"

All of the emotion evaporated from her face for a split second, but then she masked it with a neutral expression. Despite her best efforts to hide it, I could tell something was wrong. Something was eating her up on the inside and tearing her apart.

"What did he do?" I urged.

"Nothin'."

"I'm being serious."

"I know. And, I'm sayin' that he's done nothing for the past few weeks. We haven't been on a date. We barely see each other. He... he hasn't comforted me. He's done nothin'. He's obsessed with the death of our unborn pup... obsessed, Mae." Her eyes became glossy.