Chapter Thirty-Nine

Branches dug into the bottoms of my feet as Aaisha and I walked through the forest. We didn't say a word, just soaked in each other's presence. She had intertwined our fingers and every now and then she would squeeze my hand.

And, for a minute, everything was peaceful.

"Moon Goddess..." The voice in my head seemed winded and urgent. My brows furrowed together. "Moon Goddess!"

Nakida.

I stopped. "Yes, Nakida?"

"Alexandra is here. She has a pup! She's so strong... stronger than I thought. I don't know if I could hold her off much longer."

My eyes widened. Alexandra was back? And she was at Damon's pack again? How'd she get in?

A branch broke in the distance and Valerio walked out of the woods, his brows furrowing together as he looked at me.

"Please send help. Please... I need help."

With each second, her voice sounded more and more distant.

Valerio was next to me now, his brows pulled together.

"Nakida."

"What about her?" Valerio asked.

I shook my head and grabbed his wrist. "Aaisha, we have to go."

I closed my eyes and imagined Damon's pack house. That's where the children were.

We stood in the living room. All of the pups stared wide-eyed at us. I smiled at them, but quickly pulled Valerio to the door.

"Mae, what's going on? Is Nakida okay?"

"Alexandra's here."

Valerio's eyes widened as his eyes glazed over.

I rushed outside, hearing a scream pierce through the forest, and ran toward it until we reached the lake.

They were at the edge of it. Alexandra's hands tightly gripped Nakida's neck. Nakida was on her knees, digging her nails into Alexandra's wrists. Her screams had turned into whimpers.

Valerio sprinted to her, his eyes completely black. His claws dug into Alexandra's shoulder and he slammed her against a tree. Her back hit the bark.

I stalked toward them. Fuming.

Who did she think she was coming back? Trying to take another pup?

I wanted to watch her suffer.

My eyes flickered to Nakida for a moment who was now holding a pup. Good. They were fine.

When I turned back to Valerio, he had shifted into his wolf. Saliva dripped from his canines.

I wanted her to suffer so damn bad, but we needed her alive. We needed to find out where Samuel and the other pups were.

I hated myself for stopping Valerio, but I did. "We need to keep her alive."

He growled at me, but I stood my ground. He growled once more, but then shifted into his human, storming toward her. He grabbed her by the neck, digging his claws into her flesh.

"You hurt her again, and I will fucking kill you." He threw her back down.

She stood up, growling back at him.

I clenched my jaw, grabbing her by the arm. "Meet me back at the Protector's house," I said to Valerio. I closed my eyes, imagining the prison cells back at our pack.

~ ~ ~

I gazed at her through the one way mirror. She sat in the cell. Silver chains clasped around her wrists and ankles, bounding her to the ground. She yanked on the chains, trying to pull them out of the cement.