Chapter Twenty-Four

After a few moments, my heart stopped as his eyes just barely opened once more. He stared up at Luca's wolf. "She'll never love you after what you've... done..."

Luca growled at him, lowering into another fighting stance, ready to finish his prey. He leapt into the air, but before he could land on Damon a blonde wolf sprinted towards him and knocked him over. They tumbled to the ground, but the blonde wolf stood up quickly, growling at Luca and Richard, daring them to come closer. He bared his teeth viciously at them.

My breath caught in my throat. Valerio. What... what was he doing?

What I should've done.

Luca and Richard growled back at Valerio, but he let out a menacing roar, causing their eyes to widen.

Luca pointed his snout to the air for a moment, taking a whiff of it. His eyes then scanned the trees until they landed on me. I stared into his beast's eyes for what seemed like hours but was only mere moments. I've seen his eyes so many times, they've saved me so many times, yet I couldn't recognize them any longer. They were so different than what I remember. Anger and hatred filled them to the brim, but once he realized it was me, they softened.

His tail moved between his legs and his eyes down casted to the ground. He turned back to his wolves, howled and then sprinted into the woods along with Richard and his pack, leaving the bloody and death-ridden scene.

Once they were gone, I sprinted over to Damon and pushed Valerio out of the way. Falling to my knees, I placed my hand on his cheek, brushing my thumb against his broken flesh, not caring that his blood was soaking my fingers.

His eyes fluttered closed, leaning slightly into my hand. "Mae..." His voice was hoarse. "I'm sorry."

Despite my best efforts, a tear slid down my cheek at the man in front of me. He was so close to death. I wrapped my arm under his arms as he leaned over onto me. Valerio grabbed his other hand, pulling him up. He limped along with me until he couldn't any longer. With each step, he grimaced and tried to hide the pain that he was in. I pressed my hands to two of his opened wounds.

I tried imagining Damon's pack doctor's office, but my mind was racing too much. I should've helped him. Why didn't I? I tried clearing my mind, but I couldn't.

"I'll take him," Valerio said.

"No, I can walk," Damon said stubbornly.

I took a deep breath, watching him limp to a building with Valerio. I should've helped him. I should've intervened sooner.

A hand grazed against my shoulder and I glanced worriedly at Aeron.

"Did I do the right thing?" I asked. My voice came out shaky.

He nodded his head. "Yes. And, he appreciates what you did. He will thank you for it."

A lifeless laugh escaped my lips. I doubt it. "Yeah, sure. He'll thank me for almost letting him die."

Aeron's head tilted slightly, and he brushed some hair out of my face. "He will thank you for letting him handle this. He's an alpha and needs to be in control. As much as you don't like it, he wants to be the one sometimes to save the day. He wants to protect you. He's your mate..." his jaw clenched. "And... as much as I hate to admit it, he loves you."

I sighed, glancing down at the ground. "I guess so."

"If you need anything else tonight, please just look up for me." He gestured to the dark sky above. "Goodnight, My Radiance."

With that he dispersed into a dark mist and disappeared.

Taking one last look at the dark night sky, I opened the door to the building and walked in, following the trail of blood on the floor. When the trail slipped under a wooden door, I pushed it opened.