Chapter Thirty-Seven

In. Out. In. Out.

I commanded myself to breathe deeply as I paced around my office. My fingers curled into fists by my sides, so they wouldn't tremble.

Everyone was here. I didn't have to be with them to feel the anxiety and tension in the air.

Someone knocked on the door, causing me to jump. Valerio peeked in his head. "Are you ready?"

"Uhm... yes. Yes. I'm ready. Just give me a few more minutes," I said, glancing at the floor.

He sighed and stepped into the room. "Mae, you said that twenty minutes ago. Everyone is waiting. The sooner this is over, the sooner you'll be free of his mark and bond."

I turned to him, my nostrils flaring. "I will not be free after this." I'd still have the  shame of killing one of my friends.

Valerio's expression softened, and he stepped towards me. I pushed him away. Yet, he continued forward and wrapped his arms around me, pulling me to his chest.

My arms went limp and my fingers weakly grasped onto him. A single tear rolled down my cheek. "I don't know if I can do this," I whispered.

He stroked my hair and took a deep breath. "You have to."

I sighed, pulling him closer to me. Then I nodded, grabbed my mother's journal from the desk, and followed Valerio to the door.

Before we stepped into the backyard, I wiped the tears off of my cheeks. I needed to be strong... or at least I needed to seem strong. For him. For us. For the pups.

Everyone had been waiting for me. Damon had his arm wrapped around Aaisha whose cheeks were stained with tears. Luca stood a few feet away - his shoulders back, his head high. He was trying to be strong, but when his eyes met mine, I knew it was all an act.

He was scared, and I was too.

I grabbed his hand, and pulled him onto the grass with me.

For a moment, I flipped through the pages of the book, wanting to drag this moment on forever. But eventually I turned to the page in the journal labeled Mark Removal Trials and placed the book on the grass next to me.

Directions:

*Warning: This has removed the mark, but it kills the mates. Only attempt if all parties are willing to accept death. Moon Goddess must perform the removal.*

Step 1: Must be under the moon. Full moons work best. New moons work worst.

Step 2: Use a silver knife to cut the skin, making two diagonal cuts from the canine marks so the cuts make an X.

Step 2 Part 2: If mate 2 is not marked, must create an incision on his/her neck where the mark would be. (This is to ensure that Mate 2's soul that was bound to Mate 1 can return to his body.)

Step 3: Pull back the skin and allow a draining to take place until the soul of the wolf is released.

Step 4:

Step 4 was left blank. I guess this is as far as the previous moon goddesses got before the mates died. I gulped and scanned the rest of the page. There was a small note at the bottom.

Please don't attempt this.

I took a deep breath as I noticed that some of the words were fuzzy as if water – or tears – had stained the page.

My gaze drifted from the journal to the trees. Most of the Protectors were scattered throughout the woods and securing the area. A few healers stood near us. Hopefully we wouldn't need them, but chances were they we would.