Chapter Thirty

What was this? Was it-

"Our tracker lost his scent,"Valerio said through the mind link. "I have teams of Protectors spread out over the area she lost it at. They're searching for him and a Challenger's hideout."

"He's working with someone. A female. She killed a boy here," I said through the mind link, taking a deep breath.

I glanced down at the boy, a frown tugging at my lips.

Nakida placed a hand on my shoulder. "Moon Goddess. I talked to the only boy alive. He said that Samuel was here. Samuel was the one who attacked him."

Why? Why would he do this? What happened in his past life that made him hate the Moon Goddess? He's never even seemed to hate me.

Why would this happen all of the sudden?

Why would they kill a boy here and take the other two?

Why would he leave such a trail of information? He wasn't stupid. If he didn't want me to uncover his secret, he would not have left all of this evidence. He would've hidden his scent better. He would've killed the boy who was still alive.

Unless... unless he wanted me to find him.

Was this a trap to get me alone to try to drain me?

But... if he wanted to do that wouldn't he have done it earlier? I've spent time alone with him a few times.

Then, again... he might not have known I was the Moon Goddess then.

I threw my head back, sighing in annoyance.

"Valerio, be careful. This might be a trap,"I warned through the mind link. I needed everyone to be weary and ready for anything that could come our way.

Who was the woman he was working with? I jogged through the forest, away from Nakida and the woman, trying to find Damon. Damon was back at the platforms, giving orders to wolves who were showing up by the second. He ordered the children to stay in the pack house which was heavily guarded by warrior wolves.

"Damon," I pulled him away from the wolves for a moment. "There is a female working with Samuel. Brunette I think. Are there any females missing from your pack?"

He shook his head. "No. Everyone is accounted for." He ran a hand through his hair. "I can't fucking believe it's him. He's been so loyal to me. Why didn't I see this earlier?! FUCK!" His hands were balled into fists, his eyes black.

I placed a hand on his chest, hoping it would calm him down. "Now, is not the time to get angry."

He yanked himself away from me, his nostrils flaring. "It's the perfect fucking time to get angry."

"Freaking out will do nothing to help the situation. You need to go back to your office and think about him. You know exactly what he would do in this situation. You've known him since you were young. Think Damon. What would he do?" I gripped his chin in my hand, searching his eyes.

Damon took a few deep breaths, his eyes fading to gold. "He-he..." He shook his head, turning away from me. "I don't know."

"Yes, you do."

A growl escaped his lips and he sat down placing his elbows on his knees and running his hands through his hair. "Give me a few minutes. I'll think of something."

I nodded, leaving him in the grass. I jogged over to Valerio. Dark circles laid under his eyes as they glazed over. He nodded to himself. Then, his eyes fazed back to me. "Please tell me something good," I said.

"This is the only kidnapping we know of so far. Our men and women are still out searching for him and the pups. So far, they haven't found anything. But..." He took a deep breath. "Our prisoner is ready to talk."