Chapter Forty-Five

"Mae..." Damon said. He trailed after me into my office. "Samuel is resting. You should too."

I sighed and placed a stack of papers on my desk. "Damon, just because the pups are home safely, doesn't mean the problem is solved. We need to eliminate these groups. I'm tired of just waiting."

He grimaced, then reluctantly nodded his head. I flicked through the paperwork. There was page after page of missing pups, clues, hints, theories. But nothing that could help us.

Damon's fingers grazed against my hip, sending shivers down my spine. He rested his chin on my shoulder. "If you don't want to rest now, promise me that when we're finished with this meeting, I can take you home, so you can rest."

I raised a brow, turning in his embrace and wrapped my arms around his neck. "Rest? I doubt that's what you have planned for us to do."

One of his hands trailed up my side. "I have more than rest planned for you... once you're healthy again."

I smiled. "Oh really?"

His eyes widened, a sparkle in each of them. "Yes really. If my mate is going to carry our pups, I can't be breaking her. She has to be healthy."

I giggled and tucked my head into the crook of his neck. I couldn't wait until this problem was solved. I wanted to be happy for once. I wanted children of our own to protect. I couldn't wait to see this pack house full of our pups.

He placed his lips on the top of my head - a soft, tender kiss.

But I didn't want anything soft and tender at the moment.

I lifted my head and met his lips with my own. Knotting my hands in his hair, I tugged on it. He smirked against me, picked me up, and placed me on my desk.

I pulled him closer, wrapping my legs around his waist. I sucked his lip into my mouth, biting down on it gently. His fingers danced across the buttons of my shirt.

"Oh! Dear Moon Goddess! We're so sorry!" someone called. Damon pulled away from me, a growl escaping his lips.Nakida and Valerio stood at my door. Nakida was turned into Valerio's body, shielding her face with her hands. "Please forgive us."

My cheeks flushed, but I smiled. "It's okay Nakida. We were just finishing up some work." I buttoned the top button of my shirt that Damon had unbuttoned.

Valerio and Nakida sat at the table and fell into an easy conversation. Damon turned back to me, resting his forehead against mine. "Do you want to try?"

"Try?" I asked.

He placed his hand on my stomach. "Try for a pup?"

A smile tugged at my lips and I took a deep breath, nodding. "How about we try for pups?."

His eyes lit up with excitement. I placed my hand on his heart, feeling his racing heart. He wrapped his arms around me, placing a kiss on my lips. "I can't wait to be a father. I can't wait to spend the rest of my life loving and protecting you. I'll be doing it until the day I die."

I cupped Damon's face in my hands, stroking his skin with my thumb.

"Not to disrupt you two love birds, but Aaisha can't make it today. She's doing some things that Richard should've done a while ago for the pack," Valerio said.

I hopped off of the desk, dizziness washing over me. Damon grabbed my waist to steady me. "You have to be more careful. Remember what the doctor said."

After a few moments, my clear vision returned and I nodded. "I can't believe she's an alpha now!" I said sitting at the head of the table.

Nakida grabbed my forearm. "I know! She will be a good one. A strong alpha for the pack. Luca would be proud of her."