Chapter Twenty-Five

The burning seared my skin. It was like a fire was trying to burn through my skin from the inside out.

I counted the seconds and minutes until it stopped, but lost count when I finally thought falling asleep would help relieve the pain.

When I woke up, the pain was gone, but so was Damon. My eyes scanned the room, trying to find any traced of him. I hope he didn't leave yet, he still needed to heal. Despite his healing capabilities, he would never be able to heal that quickly from injuries that bad. His cuts were too deep, he was too close to death.

My feet grazed against the cold tiled floor and I followed his scent to another room. I pushed the door opened and walked in, crossing my arms over my chest. "Damon, you should be resting."

He stared at me sheepishly, his eyes widening.

"Woooow, no 'Hi, Samuel are you okay?'" Someone said. I glanced over at Samuel laying in the bed and shook my head at him smiling. My eyes grazed down his body, examining his wounds. The cuts on his flesh seemed to be healing just slightly.

"I'm glad you're okay, Samuel," I said once I confirmed he was not near death anymore.

"No hug?" He cocked his brow.

Damon growled. "Don't push it," he said.

Samuel held up his hands in surrender.

My eyes flickered from Samuel to Damon. And, my heart felt content. Completely content. I was so glad they were okay. Losing them – either of them – would make me feel terrible.

A knock rapped on the door and small giggles drifted under it. A smile tugged on Samuel's face, a joyful glint in his eyes. "Come in my little minions!" he called out.

The door flew opened and the two little pups I saved sprinted in and jumped on the bed. "Sammy!" the girl squealed. She wrapped her tiny arms around his neck.

Samuel wrapped his arms around her waist and sat her down next to him.

"Sam, we are happy you are okay!" the boy said, jumping onto the bed on the other side of him. "Mommy said that you were hurt."

"Hurt?" Samuel's eyes widened. "I could never be hurt!"

The boy giggled. Both of the pups' cheek rounded as they smiled.

Samuel nodded to me. "Why don't you tell Alpha Damon and Luna why I can never get hurt."

I raised a brow at Damon and he smirked looking at the two pups who jumped onto their feet on the bed. They flexed their little arms, trying to make muscles. "Sammy is a-"

"BEAST!" the boy finished.

A laugh escaped my lips for a moment and then I was clutching my stomach, doubled over, tears falling from my eyes from laughter. These pups. They could really make any situation better. "Samuel... did... did you teach them that?" I asked, wiping the tears from my cheeks.

A cheeky grin plastered across his face and he nodded. Damon's chuckle filled my ears, making me warm on the inside. He wrapped his arms around my shoulders and pulled me to his chest.

"Awh! Look at the cute couple!" Samuel squealed.

"Yay! Alpha Damon and Mae!" the girl said, clapping her hands. "You are cute!"

Samuel pulled the pups closer, whispering something in their ears. I could only imagine what he was saying to them. Their giggles filled the quiet room. Their cheeks rounded.

"You should..." Samuel started.

"KISS!" the pups finished.

My cheeks tingled as I sent Samuel a quick glare.