2: T h e 1 0 0

XX

[ PREVIOUSLY: Octavia and 99 other prisoners of the Ark were trapped inside a drop-ship that was being sent to Earth to see if it was still habitable for the rest of the human race ]

"You're sending us to the ground?" a panicked girl shouted from across the room once Chancellor Jaha finished his speech. "We'll die down there!"

"Do you think they care if we live or die?" a boy seated near her scoffed in response. "They're sending us down to the earth to die! They wanna get rid of us so the privileged will get more luxuries and space to live."

"YEAH!" "That's right!" "Screw you, Chancellor!" "How dare they do this to us!" "They can all frickin' die! I don't care about them!" "Yeah gal, preach it!" "Bastards!" "You feel happy sending us to our death, aye? Do ya?"

A chorus of angry voices erupted from all around me.

I shrunk back in my seat and twiddled nervously with my fingers. I had always known I was going to die. Even though being sent to my death didn't take me by surprise, being sent to the ground did.

"I - I thought the Earth was still inhabitable," the scared, confused voice of a little girl piped up beside me.

I turned my head and gazed sympathetically at her. "It's okay. We'll be fine," I tried to assure her.

The little girl shook her head and burst into tears. "I - I don't wanna die," she hiccuped.

A wave of rage pummelled through me. This was a little girl, 12 years old at the most, who was being sentenced to death for some petty crime. She deserved to live a life. She deserved to grow up and have a shot at being happy.

Clenching and unclenching my fists, I tried to calm my temper by asking her, "What's your name, sweetie? I'm Octavia."

The little girl wiped at her eyes as she sniffled, "C-Charlotte. My name's Charlotte."

I smiled as I stuck out my hand. "Nice to meet you, Charlotte. Hey, do you wanna know why I was sentenced to death?"

Charlotte glanced up at me and nodded her little brown head.

"I have a sibling," I told her. "His name is Bellamy. He was the first child born to my mother. I'm the second one. I'm being killed for being born."

Charlotte stared at me for a long moment before whispering, "T-that's awful."

I nodded as I playfully shoved her shoulder. "What about you? What could an innocent little girl like you possibly do that was so bad?"

"I - I ..." Charlotte hesitated. "M-my father was floated. I - I watched him die in front of me. I screamed and swore at the chancellor. I saw a sterilised knife from Mrs Griffin's medical equipment that was sitting on a table nearby. I grabbed it. I tried to kill the chancellor."