23: M u r d e r e r i n O u r M i d s t

XX

[PREVIOUSLY: As Octavia lays recovering, struggling with her vying loyalty to Bellamy despite his misdeeds, Atom, another of Clarke's patients, suffers a seizure and dies

[PREVIOUSLY: As Octavia lays recovering, struggling with her vying loyalty to Bellamy despite his misdeeds, Atom, another of Clarke's patients, suffers a seizure and dies. The one hundred prisoners of the Ark are now down to ninety-eight. Who will be next?]

A soft groan escaped my lips as I struggled to contain the pain that was throbbing throughout my body. With great difficulty, I lifted one leg and slammed it against the cold metal of the wiry ladder. Then, I lifted my other leg and placed it beside the first one. My hands were blistered and clammy; my arms were shaking from my tightened, weak muscles.

C'mon, Octavia, you can do this, c'mon! I told myself as I hoisted my body farther up the ladder. Just one more step and you'll be there ....

"Octavia!"

I paused and rolled my eyes as I lifted my head to face the speaker. "Oh hi Bell. How nice to see you," the sarcasm dripped off my words. "Can you let me up, please?"

When Bellamy hesitated to reply, I prodded his boot with my finger and complained loudly, "Aw c'mon, Bell! I've come all this way!"

"Let her up, Bellamy," Clarke's voice cut through the air. "She deserves to know what's going on."

"Urgh, fine," Bellamy let out an exaggerated huff and stepped to the side to make way for me.

I grinned as I dragged myself the rest of the way up the ladder. "Thanks, Bell," I beamed as I plonked my weary body on the upper floor of the drop-ship. "Soooo ... what are you guys doing all the way up here?"

Bellamy shushed everyone as he fastened the trap door leading down to the lower level of the drop-ship. Then, he offered me a hand and helped me to my feet before gently leading me over to where the others were standing around a makeshift oak table; the others being Clarke, Finn, Raven and Monty.

I raised my eyebrows as I surveyed them. "So, you're deciding whose important enough to be boss, huh? My bet's on Raven. She'd make a badass leader."

"Quit being a smart-ass and listen why don't you?" Bellamy reproved me as he dropped my arm and moved over to the table opposite Clarke.

"Well, if you'd hurry up and tell me I might," I shot back.

"Okay, that settles it, you're the queen of comebacks," Raven laughingly stated. "But Bellamy's right. We need to listen to him. Now is not the time for jokes."

"What's got your undies in a knot?" I grumbled as I crossed my arms and leaned back. I was cross, partly because I wasn't feeling amazing, with my half-healed injuries and all, and secondly, because I didn't have a clue what was going on and it was annoying me.