33: N a t r o n a!

XX

[PREVIOUSLY: Octavia distracts Bellamy and Clarke so she can free the two captured grounders

[PREVIOUSLY: Octavia distracts Bellamy and Clarke so she can free the two captured grounders. As she acts upon her cleverly devised plan, Octavia learns a few interesting facts about Lincoln and Aidan].

For the next half an hour, Lincoln, Aidan and I stayed hidden deep within the woods.

Lincoln had secured the upper hand by climbing up a thick nearby oak. He crouched precariously on one of its branches, scanning and making mental notes of our surroundings.

Aidan stayed with me behind the spruce brushes. From our vantage point, we could see the camp gates and the top of the drop-ship. We could also hear the chaos that erupted once the escapade of the grounders was discovered.

No one ventured out of the camp to look for us, though. I presumed that Clarke persuaded Bellamy to wait until morning. To be honest, I was surprised and almost a little disappointed. As much as I wanted Bellamy to keep as far away from us as possible, I was a little upset that he didn't come looking for me. I was his sister after all ...

As we waited for the full cover of darkness to settle in, I decided to get some answers to the questions flooding my mind.

"Why did you save my life?" I queried, gazing intently at Aidan.

He was facing away from me, but even then, I could make out his defined jaw and cheekbones, the rippling muscles of his back and the scars that tattered his upper arms.

Aidan cast a sideways glance at me and shrugged.

I couldn't get two words out of him!

I groaned in frustration. "Oh c'mon. I deserve to know why you helped me ... and then tried to stop me from leaving those tunnels. What were you trying to hide?"

Aidan stiffened as he turned to face me fully. Obviously, by the look on his face, he hadn't expected that I'd recognise him.

"I - I know who you are ..." I stuttered, trying hard not to avert my eyes from his. "I - I just need to know ... that's all ... w-why would you save my life? I'm not one of you. I'm one of them! Someone that your people are trying to kill ..."

"You don't know anything about our people," Aidan shot back.

I swallowed. He did have an accent. But from where? I couldn't pinpoint it. "T-that's true ... But then again, you don't know anything about us."

"We do know that your ship blew a missile that burned an entire village to the ground and killed 300 of our people," Aidan returned, the anger evident in his tone. "We also know that you were trying to take our land and now you've tried to take us!"

I shook my head. "No, it's not like that! Some of us are impulsive, yes, but in the long run, we're just kids - er - they're just kids. They don't know what they're doing. They don't have a leader to follow."