63: B a t t le o f t h e F o r e s t

XX

[PREVIOUSLY: Octavia leads the troops out of the camp, but then, tragedy strikes

[PREVIOUSLY: Octavia leads the troops out of the camp, but then, tragedy strikes. Trapped within the walls, with the grounders advancing rapidly upon them, Octavia comes up with a plan that will rid Skikru of the grounders once and for all].

As Raven and Monty put their heads to use in an effort to fix the wiring that ran beneath the floor of the drop-ship, Bellamy and Clarke remained stationary, working over last-minute plans and calling out instructions to any loose stragglers.

Gunners were lined up along every wall, their weapons pointed towards the dense forest. A couple dozen youth lined the perimeter a mile or so outside of camp, keeping watch on the grounders' every move.

Keeping Lincoln's sword by my side at all times, I flittered in between the front lines and the gunners at the walls, keeping tabs on everyone. However, I kept a special look-out for Jasper, Zoe, Bryce and Dustin. They were all at the front line and I just wanted to make sure that they were holding up under the pressure.

It had been a few hours since we had received the urgent call from Nate and so far, the grounders hadn't come any closer. Their army was stationed just outside of the gully. From all the reports that we had received so far, there was so many of them, it was impossible to sum them up in numbers.

Some people were confused as to why the grounders were holding back, and even though it was giving Raven ample time to fix the wiring, it was also making the majority increasingly concerned and suspicious.

As the long hours dragged on by and dusk began to settle across the land, Bellamy finally came to the conclusion that the grounders were waiting for the darkness to come. In such a situation, they knew, that in order to avoid our guns, moving forward at night would be the best option. They would be quicker and faster than us and would be able to gain the upper hand very easily.

As unsettling as this was, Bellamy, pushing aside his own fears and worries, continued to make the rounds, knowing that his presence would be the support and encouragement his people needed.

It was nearing the hour of complete and utter darkness and the tension in the air was so high, you could literally snap it like string. By this time, I was sitting by the door of the drop-ship, running a smooth stone over the jagged edge of Lincoln's blade. Every so often, one of the gunners surrounding the camp would disturb the leaves by his feet. As soon as the noise reached me, I would stiffen up and my fingers would tighten around my sword. I would strain my ears to hear if anyone was coming but, when I would realise that it was nothing to worry about, I would go back to doing what I was doing.