47: T h i s i s W a r

XX

[PREVIOUSLY: Octavia talks to Lexa and finds out more about the grounders' ways

[PREVIOUSLY: Octavia talks to Lexa and finds out more about the grounders' ways. She meets Artigas, a cheeky, energetic youth, and learns of a mysterious girl called Erin. The only problem? She is forbidden to even mention her name ... ]

"Octavia kom Skikru ... Arise."

In acknowledgment of the command, I slowly stood up and lifted my head, my emerald orbs meeting Anya's brown ones.

I glanced cautiously around the room, noting the aggressive air encompassing the soldiers that stood around Anya's throne. Among them was a ferocious Gustus and a glowering Indra.

"Your Majesty," I murmured, my teeth tugging at my bottom lip. I was a little uncomfortable with all the scrutiny I was receiving. Having been locked underneath a floor for 16 years wasn't exactly the most ideal situation in which to improve my social skills. I swallowed and my eyes focused on Anya's face. I tried not to let anyone see the claustrophobic fear that was starting to engulf me, but I knew, as plain as day, that my quivering fingers and my wide, scared eyes were giving me away.

"Why did you save my life?" Anya demanded sharply, looking down her nose at me. Once again, the Heda of her people was clothed in a magnificent, flowing robe. Black war paint was splotched across her face, a long curved sword was strapped around her waist and her gleaming eyes narrowed as they settled on me.

I heaved a deep breath before replying, "Aidan, Your Majesty. He - he warned me of the plot. He told me to come here as fast as I could so I could catch you before you went to Polis. He - he gave me Zenia to ride."

Anya looked taken aback. For a moment, all she did was stare at me, then she exclaimed loudly, "That's bull."

I couldn't help but back away a few paces as she rose up from her throne and glared down at me. "It's - it's true!" I sputtered out in protest. "Yesterday, he hid outside our camp but he only approached me when I was alone! He told me to come here!"

"He shot me!" Anya hissed, waving a bandaged hand in my face. "Why would he warn me of my impending doom if he tried to enact it by himself?"

"Aidan never wanted to kill you, An - er - Heda," I tried to explain. "He - he was only saving my life."

"But why? You are a mere Skai Gada! I am his Heda!" Anya hissed.

"He - he ..." I paused before blurting out, "He chose me to be the PeaceKeeper ... between Trikru and Skikru. He knew I was the only one, of my people, who were willing to come to TonDC and face you. You kill me and you kill any prospect of future peace."

Anya gritted her teeth as she glowered down at me. "That's the point."

I froze. "W-what ... ?"