12: C a l l i n g t h e S h o t s

XX

[PREVIOUSLY: Octavia proves her worth by killing the cougar that tries to attack her brother

[PREVIOUSLY: Octavia proves her worth by killing the cougar that tries to attack her brother. Once the search party returns to the drop-ship with Jasper, Bellamy exerts his influence by convincing everyone to take off their wristbands in exchange for food. Meanwhile, Octavia and Finn grow closer].

It'd been two days since we found and rescued Jasper ... and he's still sick. Thrashing around, moaning, sweating profusely; the poor guy hasn't had a break.

Clarke reckons the spear used on Jasper was poisoned. She's tried every antidote and every dole of medicine she could lay her hands on, but nothing's changed. Jasper's still sick. In fact, he seems to be getting worse. And that's what's worrying me.

In the two days that have passed, more of our rations have been used up and we are edging closer and closer to starvation. With Clarke busy looking after Jasper, Bellamy has put his new-found authority to good-use. He has separated everyone into groups with certain ones scavenging for food and water and others for much-needed supplies and timber. He is in the middle of trying to build a wall, a wall that will surround us and the drop-ship. As if that's going to keep the grounders out, but you can only try.

Murphy is Bellamy's second in command and man, that asshole does my head in. He struts around like he owns the place, bullies people into doing what he wants and uses others. I'm sick and tired of the way he bosses everyone around, as if he's the leader around here. I just wished Bellamy could look past Murphy's innocent loyal facade and see what truly lies beneath.

Bellamy's other right-hand man was Atom, a dark, handsome and particularly good-looking bloke. All the girls swooned over him and had bets and competitions to see who'd be lucky enough to land him in their bed.

As for me and Finn? We steered right away from all the cliche crap that was going on around the camp because with no adults to keep them accountable, everyone had gone a-wall: sleeping around, making out, partying. They should've been preparing themselves, preparing themselves for the fact that one day we'd have to face those grounders ... but they weren't.

Bellamy was wrong. We didn't stand a chance against the others who were out there. Why? Because we weren't prepared. True, we had guns and knives and acted all tough and superior on the outside, but on the inside? We were just kids.

To be honest, I was surprised the grounders hadn't attacked us as of yet. We were in our most vulnerable stage. Maybe they were just having too much fun watching us all and making fun of how we were all acting. I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case.

For the first time in my life, I was beginning to doubt whether Bellamy was actually doing the right thing. One morning, I had walked into his tent and caught him in the act of screwing with some girl. I was so disgusted I just walked straight back out again. I stayed in the drop-ship with Finn, Clarke, Monty, Bryce and Dustin for the rest of the day. At least they were still sane.