20: S h o o t t o K i l l

XX

[PREVIOUSLY: Octavia wakes up to find herself in an underground cave surrounded by a maze of grounder filled tunnels

[PREVIOUSLY: Octavia wakes up to find herself in an underground cave surrounded by a maze of grounder filled tunnels. Even though she's wounded, she attempts to escape, only to run straight into a grounder whose wielding two sharp-bladed swords]!

The two of us, one small, the other big, one defenceless, the other armed, one frightened and scared, the other confident and sure ... We stared at each other for a good few seconds.

I couldn't see much of the grounder's face, it was covered in a hideous, beast-like mask. But I saw his eyes; the deepest green with a hint of brown. They weren't emotionless. They weren't cruel. They were ... they were a human's eyes with all the touches of a human's emotions.

These grounders ... they were just like us!

A half-snort, half-grunt escaped the grounder's mouth as he dipped his head to the side. He started forward menacingly and all thoughts of how calming and hypnotising his eyes were instantly escaped me.

Crap.

He twirled his swords around his hands with just a flick of both his wrists. My eyes followed the sharp, silver blades as they shimmered in the reflection of my candle's light.

He stepped closer towards me and I had no choice but to cower back. He was trying to trap me between him and the wall! If he succeeded, there'd be no escape ... not for me.

My gaze darted from his weapons to his face, then I glanced over his shoulder. I raised my eyebrows in suppressed delight. I could see the light, the light from the outside world as it cast shadows along the wall. If I could just dodge him, I could get out!

But how?

The grounder grunted angrily at me as he drew one of his swords up, aiming it for my throat. Before he could carry out with his intention, however, I seized my opportunity.

I whirled around and threw the candle, straight at his face!

The grounder staggered back with a yelp of pain as the flame seared his flesh. I took this as my chance.

Ducking under one of his arms, I raced off down the tunnel, making a beeline straight for the cave opening that was a couple dozen paces away.

The grounder behind me let out a yell and a string of foreign words. I figured that he was calling for help or for someone to stop me before I reached my destination.

The pounding of footsteps began to resound through the dark passage as the grounder sprinted after me. However, I had a good head start and I wasn't going to let him catch up to me this easily.

Sorry mate, not gonna happen, I inwardly scorned him as I made a dive for the cave opening. I'm a Blake. We don't give up!

I'd barely finished that thought when, with a cry of surprise, I felt something wiry and tight wrap itself around my legs. I tumbled straight through the opening of the cave and onto the hard-packed ground.