62: R i n g o f F i r e

XX

[PREVIOUSLY: Bellamy and Clarke have differing views on how they should handle the 'grounder situation'

[PREVIOUSLY: Bellamy and Clarke have differing views on how they should handle the 'grounder situation'. In the meanwhile, Octavia and Finn exert their influence and everyone gets ready to leave the camp for good. Bellamy nearly crumbles but receives help from his sister just in time].

My boots padded against the hard-packed earth. Clumps of dirt stuck to the underside of my shoes. My feet rustled the autumn leaves scattered beneath me. My hands, clamped around the handle of my sword, grew taunt and rigid. The sharp, silver blade glinted in the noon-day sun.

My wary eyes travelled across the vast, green expanse of forest in front of me. Once upon a time, this place offered us a new life, a new hope. Once upon a time, this place whispered promises of security and safety, friendship and family. But now? All I saw was an endless abyss of unforgiving, foreboding darkness. It had been looming over us ever since we first set foot on earth. We were never safe. We were never free.

"Octavia! Why are you stopping?" Nate's surprised and worried tone cut through the air and deep into my reverie.

My eyes widened as I realised what I was doing.

Earlier, I had left Bellamy behind with Clarke so I could scour the front line with the gunners, just to make sure that no grounders were on our trail. Suddenly, and without much explanation, I had just stopped, stock-still.

Maybe it was the dead silence of the forest that had alerted me or maybe I had caught a glimpse of movement in the trees. Whatever the case was, I had no explanation for it.

Torn between feeling confused and agitated, I shook my head and held up my hand, quietening Nate and the others behind me. My alert gaze swept over every inch of landscape. My fingers curled tightly around the hilt of my sword. I didn't know what it was but something just wasn't right.

Suddenly, a rush of air sounded from right above my head. Instinctively I ducked, only to catch sight of an air-borne axe as it was hurled over me. The sickening sound of metal slicing through flesh reached my ears.

Spinning around, I inhaled sharply as I took in the hideous sight. A tall, ginger-haired boy was lying on the ground, sprawled on his back, with a sharpened axe-head embedded in his face!

Screams of horror sprung up from all around me as frenzied youths began stampeded back through the trees towards the camp.

"Get back inside! Get back inside!"

The cry was taken up and shouted to the four corners of the wind, travelling to the ears of our near-attackers.

Still in shock over what had occurred, my legs tumbled clumsily over each other as I pushed myself forward.