39: B u l l e t - P r o o f

XX

[PREVIOUSLY: Bellamy and Clarke head a devised plan that they hope will trick the grounders into making peace with Skikru

[PREVIOUSLY: Bellamy and Clarke head a devised plan that they hope will trick the grounders into making peace with Skikru. Clarke writes a list of the treaty's conditions and Finn, Jasper and Bellamy trek down to the river to find the answer to their all-important question: Will the grounders be willing to meet with them]?

SWISH. SWISH.

My silver blade sliced neatly through the air, the colour of the surrounding green-wood reflecting off it's sharp, jagged edge. I gripped the sturdy handle with both hands, trying to balance the weight of the metal as I made another forward vicious attack.

SWISH. SWISH.

I was small, but I was fast. I might not be a pro at handling this sort of weapon, but I could surprise my enemy and gain the upper hand if I had the chance.

SWISH. SWISH. THUMP.

"Urgh," I yelped out in annoyance as the sword slipped through my fingers and spun out across the ground. I doubled over and placed my hands on my knees as I heaved for breath. The sword felt more at home in my hand than a gun did, that was for sure, but becoming an expert at wielding it was proving no easy task.

"Snap," I muttered, rolling my eyes and shaking my head as I bent down to retrieve my weapon.

"Oi, Samurai, come and take a look at this!" Raven's sing-song voice echoed from across the camp.

I had to bite my lip to stop a chuckle from escaping. Samurai? That nickname was new.

Slowly, I sheathed my sword, prideful satisfaction swelling up within me. I had failed today. But I would try again tomorrow.

I trotted briskly over towards where I had heard Raven; discovering, moments later, that she was in the tent that we'd set up for the radio.

As I pushed the loose flap of canvas covering the tent opening aside, I widened my eyes at the sight before me. Raven was on her hands and knees, a large pile of bullets in front of her. In one hand she was pinching a single bullet between two fingers and in the other she sported a wrench.

"W-what are you doing?" I questioned laughingly.

Raven glanced up at me and smirked. "Before you say anything about Murphy, I got Harper to take over for me a bit earlier so I could do this."

"Yeah, well what is this, exactly?" I raised my eyebrows quizzically.

"I'm checking the gunpowder in these rounds so if the grounders try to kill us all, maybe we can get a few shots off beforehand," she shrugged.

My brow darkened and my fists clenched. I opened my mouth to speak but before I could voice what I was thinking, someone spoke up from behind me, "Hmm. That's intense. Are you sure you know what you're doing?"