52: T r y t o b e a H e r o

XX

[PREVIOUSLY: Octavia takes the shot and blows the bridge but suffers from the aftermath of such a decision in the sick ward

[PREVIOUSLY: Octavia takes the shot and blows the bridge but suffers from the aftermath of such a decision in the sick ward. Murphy makes an appearance and informs her of the state of the camp and Octavia is left wondering how much longer the grounders will stay away].

It had been two days since the bridge explosion.

In that time, sickness had riddled the entire camp. Everyone had been affected by the contagious virus, everyone, that is, except for Finn and I. For some reason, our immune systems were strong enough to reject the threatening germs.

Along with Murphy, the three of us laboured long into the night, rinsing wet cloths over feverish bodies, providing buckets when the urge to throw up showed itself and handing out water to quench dry and thirsty throats.

For most, the virus wasn't life-threatening, but for the weakest, it was a different story. Within a matter of hours, we lost five people to the disease and another three later the next day.

If the grounders were to attack us now, we'd be ripe for the picking. The ones who pulled through the sickness were too weak to even stand while the others who didn't make it were dumped outside the camp in our 'burial ground'. As for Murphy, Finn and I, we were so exhausted, we, too, would've been unable to defend ourselves from any forthcoming attack.

The long shadows of the evening where falling upon our camp as the second day wound to a close. Finn was replenishing our water supplies down by the river. Murphy was making the rounds on the lower level of the drop-ship. And, on the upper level of the ship, I, alongside a recovering Jasper and Harper, were making maps of the surrounding area.

"Oh geez," Harper suddenly let out a groan as her hand flew to her forehead.

"Harper, are you okay?" Jasper queried anxiously as he glanced up at her.

I followed suit and studied her features closely. "Your face has gone as white as a sheet," I murmured, pushing back my chair and stepping over to her. I placed the back of my hand on her forehead and sighed. "It seems like you're having another hot flush. Let's get you downstairs and into the fresh air. When Finn gets back with the water, then you can rest."

Harper nodded and shrugged in agreement as she staggered to her feet. Slowly and painstakingly, I assisted her down the ladder. With Harper's arms wrapped limply around my waist and her face pressed into my neck, I shuffled slowly across the floor towards the drop-ship door.

My eyes travelled over of the rows of coughing, spluttering youths, their skin shining with sweat and their bodies shaking in feverish sleep. I pressed my lips firmly together as Harper and I passed by them. I couldn't believe how brutal and cold Anya was to have infected Murphy with such a horrible disease. I knew I never really had a chance to get through to her, but the breaking point with Lexa had been this close ... And then ... I closed my eyes as I remembered the explosion.