26: H i s D a r k E y e s

XX

[PREVIOUSLY: Octavia loses it with Bellamy and resorts to violence

[PREVIOUSLY: Octavia loses it with Bellamy and resorts to violence. In the meanwhile, Dustin and Bryce spot grounders in the trees. Clarke and Bellamy hatch a plan to capture one of them].

"We need to catch one."

"One what?"

"One grounder."

As soon as Clarke had spoken these words, she grabbed Bellamy's and I's arms and dragged us back over to the drop-ship; her fast-paced steps full of urgency.

"Raven!" she yelled out as she entered the compartment. "How's progress coming along?"

"It's good!" Raven called back from a secluded corner in the room where she was huddled over a table covered with wires. A large black canvas bag, filled with all sorts of tools, was lying on the ground next to her.

"What are you doing?" I demanded as Clarke pulled me over to where Raven was sitting.

"I'm trying to fix up the radio," Raven replied with a shrug, looking up from her work as we approached. "Why, what's up?"

"We need some sort of communication between us and anyone else who leaves this camp," Clarke briefly explained. "Could you conjure up something in that smart head of yours?"

"What, you mean like a walkie-talkie?" Raven inquired, setting down the mangled black box of a radio as she stared questioningly at Clarke.

A small smile flickered over Clarke's face as she nodded. "Yes, that's exactly what we need! Can you hit the pause button on the radio for now and work on making us some of those? We need at least two before dawn."

Raven let out a sardonic chuckle and shook her head. "Are you serious? I'm good, sure, but I'm not that good."

"We need two of them before the sun comes up tomorrow!" Clarke persisted in a serious tone. "We just saw grounders outside of the camp. They're spying on us! Who knows who long they've been out there?"

Raven's eyes widened in surprise. "Wow. Okay. Well, I'm gonna need some help."

"For sure," Clarke nodded. "Who do you need?"

"Someone who can splice wires," she returned. "Monty or Jasper ... they'll be good enough."

"Bellamy, go and get them, both of them, Clarke ordered. "We have no time to waste."

Bellamy sighed and dropped his shoulders before spinning around on his heel and leaving the room.

"Octavia, you, Finn, Bellamy and I are going to work over my plan," Clarke continued hurriedly. "We need to tweak it to perfection; everything needs to go just right, otherwise we could have a war on our hands."