13: Should I Stay or Should I Go

At Ben's house the very next day, Andi says nothing. She doesn't even notice how Stan keeps avoiding her for some weird reason.

"Andi? ANDI," Richie snaps, pulling the girl from her daze.

She looks at Richie with glazed eyes, realizing that they're both still stood outside of Ben's house. Truth is, she doesn't think she's ready to go in yet. She doesn't know what she'll do.

"Are you okay? You've been acting weird all morning," He asks softly, using a rational tone for once.

"Yeah, sorry," she softly says. "I just...there's something I need to tell—"

"Hey! What's taking you guys so long?" Eddie shouts, popping his head out the front door.

Richie rolls his eyes, and waves his hand at him, as if to say 'nothing'. Eddie goes back inside, leaving the two alone once again. This time, Andi looks disappointed because she can't seem to say what's on her mind.

"What were you going to say?" He questions.

"Nothing," she shakes her head. "I'll...tell you later."

Then, she quickly walks past him into the house, leaving no time for Richie to protest.

"God damn it, Eddie," he groans.

A gasp leaves Andi's mouth as she begins to explore the room. There are tons of interesting articles, and all of them point to the same being.

She ignores Richie when he insults Ben, standing beside Bev as she walks around the room.

The two girls notice something behind his door, that makes them both snicker. An NKOTB poster.

Ben gives them a desperate look, practically begging for them to keep quiet, to which they comply.

As she continues walking around the room, she finds a place beside Ben and moves to whisper something into his ear. No one can tell what she says, just that he's a blushing mess when she stands up straight again.

Stan can't help but feel annoyed at the sight of it.

By the time the losers leave Ben's house, Andi is still out of place because of her thoughts. She can't pay attention, and Stan feels drained from not getting her usual flirtatiousness.

He wonders if it's because of what he said to her yesterday. Cause, he'll take it back. He'll take it back so fast.

He doesn't even know what he feels anymore, all he knows is that he likes when she's close and wants to kiss her so bad. How did this happen?

No.

He can NOT give into those "toxic" feelings. He can practically hear his dads voice shouting "no" at him.

"Why are you avoiding me?" A voice breaks him out of his thoughts.

He looks up to Andi. A soft smile replaces his dull look. She noticed.

"What I'm...I'm not, uh, avoiding you," He lies, turning to face away from her.

"Please don't do this to me," she begs, taking him by surprise. "Not right now, Stan. Please."

"I'm not doing anything!" He insists.

She shakes her head at him, not even wanting to be persistent like she usually is. Then, she turns around, grabs her bike and rides back home— leaving the losers to watch in shock.

"Stan, what the hell!" Richie calls. "Did you really just make her sad again? Dude, have you even noticed how upset she's been today?"

"Shut up, Richie," Stan grumbles, getting onto his bike.

"No, you know what, you shut up!" Richie scoffs. "You're being such a little fucking shit, you know that? You dodge Andi at every turn, then you go back to her! Stop making shit so confusing, Stanley. Either you like her or you don't. You can't have your fucking cake and eat it, too."

The other losers do their best not to intervene, but they have to admit that for once Richie wasn't wrong.

What he said is raw, and you know he's speaking for them all.

"Oh my god, I don't care!" Stan yells back. "I don't like her! I don't! That's not my fault. I'm sorry if it upsets her, and I'm sorry it upsets you! You can't force feelings that aren't there!"

"Except they are there!" Richie challenges. "Look, why don't you just admit that you like her? I don't see what's so wrong with it."

"If you're so mad about it, why don't you date her yourself?" Stan barks without thinking his statement through.

"Ok," Richie shrugs. "Maybe, I will."

Stan blinks back in surprise, staring at him with a sense of regret.

"Unless you take it back right now," he adds.

"Jesus, why do you care so much, Richie?" Stan annoyedly whispers. "Can't you just leave me alone?"

"Alright," Eddie steps in, "that's enough. You're both being annoying assholes."

"Y-Yeah," Bill agrees. "Let's just go."

"It's getting pretty late, anyway," Ben nods. "You should get home."

With that, the losers proceed to their houses. Except Stan, who waits a few minutes before following Richie off in the direction of his house.

"Richie!" He calls, doing his best to catch up to him on his bike.

Richie almost falls entirely off his bike from jumping up so high in fear.

"Jesus Christ, Stan," he breathes. "What the hell are you doing?"

"I'm sorry," Stan apologizes. "For yelling and all that. I wanna apologize to Andi, and I think you're right. I think I like her."

"You think?" Richie snorts, giving him an understanding nod. "I'm sorry, too. I should've never yelled, and you know I'd never date the girl my best friend clearly likes. I just have one question."

"What?"

"Why do you keep denying liking her? What's wrong with a little crush?"

Stan sighs at his question. As they reach Richie's house, they stop their bike.

Stan shrugs his shoulders softly, and grabs nervously at the back of his neck.

"There's something special about her," Stan admits, "and I feel like if I let myself like her, I won't just like her, you know?"

"And what's wrong with that," Richie smiles. "She's good, Stan."

"Yeah, I don't know," he answers. "I'm an idiot though.."

"Oh, Stanley," Richie pats his shoulder, "you're an idiot. I'm an idiot. We're the co-presidents of Club idiot."

"What do I say when I see her?"

"Start with sorry."

"Got it."