Icebreakers

"Put your phone away, Holmes," Steve Rogers requested.

Sherlock obviously wasn't paying attention — he was focused on his phone, where he was scouring the internet for information.

Steve coughed.

"HOLMES, phone?"

Still nothing.

An angry scowl twitched at the corners of Mr Rogers's lips.

"SHERLOCK, you psychopath!" the girl sitting in front of Sherlock and Loki hissed, and Sherlock looked up.

"Put your phone away," she whispered, and he complied with a sigh, showing it into his back pocket.

"Oh no you don't," Mr Rogers frowned, "give that to me. You won't need it anyway, and I know how you are, texting behind your back and everything."

Sherlock's jaw set stubbornly, but a warning glance from the girl was enough for him to hand it over.

Mr Rogers accepted the phone with a single nod, putting it on his desk.

"You can come collect it at break. Now, where was I? Oh yes, the Civil War."

"That was impressive," Loki whispered to the girl in front of them.

"My, Loki, have you turned to flattery for help now? How low can you go?"

Loki scowled, and she laughed. 

"I'm just joking Loki, really. Is it true though? That you've lost your memory?"

"Sort of," Loki mumbled, "I remember certain people, but I remember them..." he glanced at Captain America, teaching a simple history class, "... differently."

"So you have no idea who I am?" she raised an eyebrow.

Loki opened his mouth to protest, but he really didn't have a clue who she was.

"No."

She smiled.

"Irene," she introduced herself, shooting a glance at Mr Rogers, who was starting to get annoyed by their disruptive conversation, "I don't suppose you'll remember our plan either? We'll have to come back to that."

She turned to face the front, and Mr Rogers shot Loki a glare.

What did I do? Why not blame her?

At the time, he hadn't known that nobody ever blames Irene Adler for anything.

She was too good at revenge.

-

History class was rounded off early, which meant they had a five minute break before PE. Or Gym, or Physical Training, or whatever you wanted to call it.

Loki turned to face Sherlock curiously.

"Someone's deep in thought," he muttered, and Sherlock seemed to snap out of thought as he said it.

"Did you say something?" he enquired, and Loki smirked.

"What were you thinking about?" 

"Just trying to identify as much about this world as I can," Sherlock shrugged, "in my Mind Palace, by absence of phone."

"Mind Palace?" Loki echoed with a frown.

"Yes," Sherlock confirmed, "it's... how do I explain it? You use visual memory to build a mental house, and use the rooms to remember information."

"And this actually helps you remember things?" Loki frowned.

"Yes," Sherlock nodded, "for example — what was Miss Hudson wearing this morning?"