A Work of Art

The rest of the school day was relatively dull. Not that Maths hadn't been dull, but at least during Maths, Sherlock had had the distraction of Mary's bright company. During the Physics lessons that followed, however, he was nearly bored to death.

Additionally, Sherlock had been overwhelmed by a feeling of total exhaustion during the short break, almost falling asleep. And to his disgust, they had English next, taught by none other than Augustus Magnussen.

Who seemed to take joy from targeting Sherlock whenever possible.

Every time Sherlock tended to drift off, Magnussen would order one of the other kids — usually Tony — to nudge him. Loki was sitting at the other end of the classroom, next to Irene, and neither did anything to help him. The boy sitting next to him, something-Barnes, was silent, although he refused to hurt Sherlock even when Magnussen told him to.

Sherlock had once again almost dozed off when he realized that he'd been asked a question.

"What's the past form of think?" the Barnes boy hissed.

"Thought," Sherlock answered.

Magnussen twitched, clearly agitated that he'd been robbed of an opportunity to further tease Sherlock.

Eventually Sherlock really did fall asleep, and James Barnes answered any questions directed at Sherlock, to Magnussen's annoyance. 

They had a double hour of English, and after that a second break. Sherlock slept through the school bell, which was the real proof that he was exhausted. That bell was louder than a horde of stampeding Bilchsteim.

The class emptied as the others stormed into the passage, Magnussen moving off to the teachers' hall.

"Sherlock," Irene whispered, "wake up."

James raised an eyebrow as Sherlock continued sleeping, his face almost plastered to his textbook.

"SHERLOCK," Loki hissed, "WAKE UP PSYCHOPATH!"

Sherlock opened one eye.

"Sociopath," he muttered, slurring his words slightly in exhaustion.

"Always works," Loki smiled triumphantly.

"Sherlock, it's break time," Irene replied.

"I'll sleep during break," Sherlock answered.

Loki started to protest, but couldn't come up with any valid arguments.

"Just let him sleep," Irene shrugged, "if you need us Sherlock, we'll be with the other kids."

They took one last glance at Sherlock, and walked out of the room.

"Thanks, for earlier," Loki said to James, gesturing to the classroom, "I sort of..."

He trailed off, not sure what he was trying to say.

"It's fine," James shrugged, "it's not like it took particular courage to stand up to the class. Not if they hate me anyway."

Loki cringed slightly. He knew that feeling all too well.

"So," Loki continued, changing the topic, "James Barnes? What can you tell me about yourself?"

Mostly... are you from my world, or Sherlock's?

"James Buchanan Barnes," James shrugged, "that's my full name. And that's also pretty much all there is to say. I'm an orphan."

"You're an excellent artist," Loki pointed out.