C H A P T E R 2 6

You don't have to see the whole staircase, just take the first step.

I got one of the biggest shock at the breakfast table the next morning.

I was told, no, more like ordered to accompany the Jenson family to an event. A launch party.

Apparently, the Jenson group of industries were going to release their new product, a car what-was-its-name, at the launch party.

Mr. Jenson had droned about the two front seat car which came in a slew of colors providing buyers with unlimited color options and many other accessories. The car cost a whopping three point four million dollars and it was the latest model in the country.

I had stared at him for a full minute after his description of the car, which I could care less about. Internally, I was freaking out.

I'd have to go out in public! I couldn't do that! That would surely expose my secret and I'd be dead. Great. Now I sounded like a freaking vampire afraid to go out in the public. Sunlight would've been much better.

"So be ready around eight, alright? We'll take your friend with us too." Mr. Jenson said, flipping through a page in today's newspaper while I just sat there with a half chewed piece of pancake in my mouth.

"Ew, close your mouth," Olivia grumbled as she popped out of nowhere. "Good morning, Mr. Jenson."

I closed my mouth, only then aware that it was open when Olivia pointed it out.

"Good morning, Olivia. And haven't I told you to call me Alistair?"

"You have, but I can never get used to calling you Alistair. So please let me just stick to Mr. Jenson," she said, smiling sheepishly as she dabbled her pancake in syrup.

"Okay." Mr. Jenson smiled. "Oh, and you're coming with us to the launch party. That is, if you don't have any prior commitments."

"Um...what launch party?" She asked, eyeing me questioningly while placing a piece of pancake in her mouth.

"The car launch party scheduled for tonight. We all are going." I informed her and her reaction was identical to mine. She stared at me with her mouth hung open, allowing me a disgusting view of the chewed up pancake in her mouth.

"Ew close your mouth," I mimicked her and she obeyed.

We didn't say anything for the rest of the breakfast, mainly because Mr. Jenson was there the whole time, reading the newspaper and occasionally checking his phone.

Olivia had her head in her hands for a while before she finally recovered anf ate her breakfast silently.

I couldn't go out in public. If it attracts the paparazzi's attention, the news would spread all over the world. If the real Juliet was alive, it wouldn't be long until she got to know about it. And if she decided to return, we'd be screwed. If she didn't, we'd still be screwed. Just a little less. I'd have to be in an act forever until I die. I wouldn't be living my life. I would be living someone else's life.

After breakfast, we made up some excuse about looking at dresses and quickly skipped to my room.

"We should've ran away yesterday! I told you we should've! But you're so fucking selfish and a gold digger! We're in this situation because of you!  Why couldn't you have just listened to me when we still had a chance to leave?! Why did you have to push our luck?" I seethed. I was so mad right now, I could stab someone and not feel guilty at all, most probably Olivia.