C H A P T E R 5 6

Perfect is an illusion.❞

At first I thought I was just imagining her, like I had last night. I even blinked a couple of times but she was still there, with the same expression of heartbreak and betrayal that she had last night in my imagination.

It was Heather.

I tried to say something but no sound came from my mouth. She was furious and her eyes were quickly welling up with tears.

"What's wrong?" Ethan asked, caressing my cheek. I didn't answer him and he followed my line of sight.

"H-Heather," he stuttered. "What're you doing here?"

Her lower lip trembled. "How could you?"

I didn't know to whom the question was directed to because she kept flitting her gaze from him to me.

"You're my best friend," she whispered and then the tears began to fall from her eyes. "How could you do this to me? How could you so easily betray me?"

Ethan strode towards her and grabbed her arm. "Calm down."

She pushed him away roughly. "I won't calm down! Do you have anything to say to explain yourself?!" She was yelling and it was scaring me because I was sure she was going to wake up everybody.

I could feel it. This was it. This was the end of my stay here. My secret was going to be out for everyone to know and then I'd be kicked out of here. Ethan would never like me again.

"I-I'm so sorry, Heather. Please, I'm sorry." I whispered, teary eyed myself because I was afraid of what she was going to do next.

"Sorry? Is that all you got to say? Did you even consider me a friend? I don't think so because a friend doesn't go after your boyfriend behind your back! How long has this been going on?"

"It's not what you think. We aren't together," I said, panic evident in my tone. My legs were trembling and I was suddenly feeling weak.

"Then what did I just see? Do you normally just kiss people like that? Do I look stupid to you? I'm asking you for how long have you been together behind my back?! Answer me."

Ethan put his hands on her shoulders. "Heather, stop it. That's enough."

She shoved him back with so much force that he banged against the counter.

"Ow," he hissed, grabbing his leg.

She placed her palm over her forehead, covering her eyes and I could hear her cry silently into it. I could do nothing but look down, ashamed and guilty as I awaited my doom. She ran a hand through her hair and I saw how red her eyes had become from crying and her nose was turning red too. Tears were continuously streaming down her cheeks and she looked so hurt and broken. I hated myself for doing this to her. She didn't deserve it.

"I'm sorry," I repeated again with my eyes cast down, because what else could I say. I couldn't say that it was a mistake because although it was, I did nothing to stop it. "I did not mean to hurt you. I didn't want to do this. Please, you have to believe me. I'm so sorry."

She didn't say anything to me.

"Heather, stop it. I said its enough." Ethan said firmly. "You're going to wake everyone up."

When I looked up, I took a few steps back seeing the expression on her face. She was rushing towards me impetuously.

Once she was right in front of me, she gave me a nasty sneer. "I never knew you were such a bitch."