C H A P T E R 7 5

The way they leave tells you everything.❞

I froze. For a full minute I couldn't do anything but gawk at a confused Samara.

"Are you okay?"

"Uh," I snapped out of my daze. "What did you say?"

"I said that a woman is waiting in the living room. She's asking for you and she looks like you. It's unbelievable. I thought you were just messing around but you two really are different people."

"I-I'll be right there." My voice came out shaky. I was expecting Juliet to return but nothing had prepared me for this moment.

I knew I should immediately find Heather because if Juliet was here then that meant Heather must've known that she was coming. Why didn't she warn me before?

But my feet seemed to have a mind of their own as they approached the stairs. I couldn't deny that part of me which wanted to see the woman I had been pretending to be for so many months.

I could see the back of her head. She was a redhead but I knew she was a natural brunette and she had just dyed her hair and chopped it shoulder length to avoid been recognized.

She was sitting on the couch, her back to me. I was about to do something, probably run away but was interrupted when Ethan strolled into view. I cursed under my breath. He was supposed to be at work but was apparently running late because we woke up late.

He noticed her and changed direction, striding towards her. He stopped in front of her and I saw her tilt her head up to look at him.

"You cut and colored your hair? When did you do that?" He didn't give her time to say anything. "It looks good."

He looked around and then a disaster happened. He bent down and kissed her on the lips.

My hands shot to my face in reflex to cover the view. It barely lasted a second and then Juliet's voice was echoing in the room.

"What the fuck." She pushed him back and before he could react, she landed a slap on his face.

Ethan stood there stunned, sporting a red cheek. I hissed in reaction as if I was the one who got slapped. I felt bad for him.

"Ethan! What the hell do you think you're doing?"

"I-Juliet?"

"Yes, I'm Juliet. Your number one enemy, if you've forgotten."

"What're you doing here?" That was a question I didn't expect him to ask. More like, 'Why did you just slap me when we're dating and have already kissed a hundred times?'

"As if I need a reason to be in my own house. And I must be asking this. What are you doing in my house? Heck, where is that girl who's pretending to be me?"

Before he could answer, I was pulled away by someone who turned out to be Heather.

"Heather, she's here. Why didn't you tell me before?" I couldn't help but come across as accusing.

"I had no idea. She just texted me saying that she was outside the gate and was entering. She didn't tell me she was planning to return. She must've figured out that I was involved and thought I'll protect you and help you escape."

"What should we do? Should we go and talk to her?"

"No," she said sharply. "You and Olivia need to leave. I'll handle things here."