C H A P T E R 6 4

A true relationship is two imperfect people refusing to give up on each other.❞

I thought a lot about how I was going to ask him out and I couldn't come up with anything. It wasn't everyday that I had to plan something special for a special someone. It was actually the first time that I had to do something like this.

But then I decided that a way to a man's heart was through his stomach and I knew how much of a foodie Ethan was and I knew what I had to do, all thanks to Keith and his magical hands.

I was going to cook for him. I was going to set it up prettily which would look romantic and then I was going to ask him out. Picturing this in my mind made me so giddy for the evening. I couldn't wait to get started and pour all of my feelings for him in the dish I'd make.

I had already told him to get off work a little early that usual so that we could have our special dinner before everyone else.

After an hour or two after lunch I was going to start with my cooking and I had asked for me to be alone in the kitchen and for there to be necessary ingredients around so that I wouldn't have to waste my time searching around for things. I was going to make a full three course meal for the both of us. I was confident and sure that he would love this.

When it was time, I bounded down the stairs, a big smile on my face as I imagined how he would react to me cooking for him.

My smile disappeared when I saw Ethan in the kitchen, eating. "What're you doing here?"

"Eating." He said, his mouth stuffed with food.

"I thought you ate out today because you didn't come during lunch time."

"There was a lot of work to be done so I didn't have time to eat. Now I'm free so I don't have go back."

Well, crap.

"And this had to happen today?"

"What do you mean?"

I sighed.

"Nothing, just finish up quickly. You must be hungry."

He nodded and I left. I'd have to wait till he finished up.

Fifteen minutes later, I went back and saw that Ethan had now finished eating but was just sitting there, scrolling on his phone.

"Ethan, you finished eating?"

He looked up. "Yeah."

"Then what are you doing here? You should go to your room and rest."

"I'm not sleepy. I'm actually feeling a lot energetic despite having worked a lot today."

"Why aren't you tired?" I muttered under my breath. "You should go."

He looked at me confusedly. "Where?"

"Anywhere. Just not here."

"Why?"

"Because the helpers are going to clean up here."

He looked around at the shiny clean kitchen. "It's spotless here, though. And I've cleaned up after myself."

"That's just on the surface. You don't know how many bacteria and germs must still be present on it. They need to deep clean it."

"I don't recall them ever deep cleaning here."

"You aren't in the kitchen twenty four by seven."