T w e n t y F o u r

Skye's POV

"Ouch," he mumbles.

"Look, everything after that kiss happened was a disaster. Imagine if we were actually together. It wouldn't work. We should go back to when we were joking around and stuff. I don't like this whole feelings thing."

He purses his lips. "So, you just want to forget that we kissed?"

"Yeah. It was a mistake. I wasn't thinking."

He nods and looks away. "Right, okay."

I frown. "Are you okay with that?" I ask.

He doesn't reply.

"Dante—"

"Why don't you want me?"

"What?"

"I don't get it. I never ask girls out or tell them I like them because I hate being rejected and then you come along and..." He goes silent. "I don't get it. What did I do? Why don't you want me as much as I want you?"

"Because I'm scared," I reply without thinking twice. As soon as I say it, I wish I hadn't. I don't understand why I feel so comfortable around him— I keep saying things I shouldn't.

"Scared... of me?"

I shake my head. "No. Forget I said anything."

I start walking back inside but he stops me, pressing me against the wall and trapping me between his arms. "Answer me."

His dark eyes bore into mine. He smells like an expensive cologne. "I'm scared of falling in love. Can you blame me? My own mother left me. Why wouldn't anyone else? What if I fall for you and we end up together but then you get bored of me and find someone prettier or funnier or smarter and you forget about me. I have nobody else and I have lost everyone I care about. I don't want to lose you, too. Love just seems to be a fucking trap and I'm not getting caught in it."

He stays silent. I'm really scared. Dante is all I have, and relying on people makes me nervous.

I need to get my shit together.

"What makes you think I would just leave?"

"Because that is reality. True love doesn't exist anymore. Relationships these days— especially the ones that seem perfect— are full of lies, cheating and betrayal. There's no real love anymore, cheating and being hurt is normal."

"How do you know this? Are you judging based on what you see in books and movies?"

"No. Books and movies almost always end in a happily ever after but in real life, it's different. I can predict what is going to happen. We kiss on top of the Eiffel Tower, we fall for each other, we go out and talk and have a lot of fun and then you become my boyfriend. We hang out a lot and soon you get bored of me. You're too scared to tell me so you decide to cheat instead of leaving me. I find out, we break up and then not only does everyone end up hurt, but I lose you. This isn't one of those happily ever afters. I don't think we're going to work" I take in a deep breath, trying to control my breathing.

"Stop overthinking things that haven't even happened. How will you ever know if you don't take a chance?"

I shake my head. "I lost my mom, my dad, my little brother and my friends. You're all I have. I can't do anything to ruin that. You don't even need me. I'm useless and worthless to you—"

"Don't say that. It's not true at all."

"I'm just some hobo girl that's living in your house. I'm a liability and sooner or later you're going to realise that and throw me out. At least it will be easier to handle if we're just friends and nothing more."

He looks at me with this strange look in his eyes, and his mouth is slightly curved down on the ends. "I'm so sorry," he whispers. His hands slide onto my waist, pulling me closer to him. He wraps me in a bone-crushing hug.

"For what?"

"They broke you. You think that the people you love will leave because that is what your own family did. We can just be friends, if that is what you need. I understand."

"So, is it okay if we pretend that kiss didn't happen and we go back to being friends? I don't mind meaningless kisses with guys in clubs, but with you it was different." I felt all these emotions that I've never felt before.

He pulls away from the hug. His eyes are soft. He brushes my hair away from my face and nods. "Yeah. It... It never happened."

•=•=•

Hi you BEAUTIFUL BABY BEANS!! Thank you so much for reading. The support means so much to me and has helped me grow in so many ways.

New update coming soon ;)

T w i t t e r : xPineappleGirlx
I n s t a g r a m : laylaawrites
Y o u t u b e : xThePineappleGirlx

Lots of love and jelly tots - xThePineappleGirlx