groceries | 2

Chapter 2:
Groceries

"Frozen from my past before"
-Bazzi (Alone)

Zach unlocked the door to his home, keeping quiet as he crept past the brown door and into the rather small house. He shut the door lightly and placed his black apron down on the coffee table in hopes of making no noise. It was going on six thirty, practically dinner time; yet he didn't smell any source of food like he usually did when he got home. He raised an eyebrow as he stuffed his keys in his pocket, slowly making his way towards the little kitchen. He smiled as he seen his daughter humming while she scribbled on a clean sheet of paper; while his own mother was checking multiple cabinets. Zach went up to his baby girl and placed his hands over her eyes. She instantly froze, reaching her hands to be placed on top of his.

"Guess who?" He chuckled. The little girl smiled as she removed her father's hands. She turned in her seat, her smile brightening even more.

"Daddy!" She jumped into his arms and wrapping him into a tight hug. And even if he was only gone for a few hours, she held onto him as if she hasn't seen him for days. Zach knew it had to do with her attachment issues, yet never actually acted upon it. She was still young and learning.

"Hey my princess! You eat dinner yet?" Zach questioned, breaking the hug. He placed her back in her seat, when he had gotten an answer. But it was from his mother instead. She leaned against the counter with irritation written all over her features. Zach frowned slightly at the sight.

"No, she didn't. Zachary there is no food in this kitchen! When was the last time you went shopping?" His mother scolded. Zach just rolled his eyes with a smile. He tickled his daughter before going over next to his mother and searching the cabinets himself. He even checked the fridge; and only came up with small things. Nothing to make a dinner that's for sure.

"I went shopping last month. I just don't have time" he answers as he closed every cabinet door he or his mother had opened.

"Well, make time. You are not going to starve my grandbaby" she pouts, folding her arms. Zach clicked his tongue, patting her shoulder.

"We'll go shopping right now. You can join" he grinned while going back over to his daughter Alyssa and lifting her. She sat on his hip, instantly drawing her attention towards the necklace he was wearing. She fiddled with it, while Zach kept pushing her back up. She was small for her age, but just as heavy.

"No, I gotta get back home to your siblings. For all we know, they're fighting again" they went towards the main room where Zach's mother collected her items from the couch. She faced the other two once more. "Feed your child. I love you" she placed a kiss on his cheek.

"Bye granma" Alyssa grinned as she looked at the older lady.

"Bye my little angel."

°°°

The family of two casually walked down the aisle of a nearby store, hoping to get a few food items for the night. Zach figured he would go shopping for more things tomorrow, as he has off from work. He held a black basket in one hand, while the other held Alyssa's tinier hand. She sang a small tune, giggling here and there.

"Oh daddy, can we please get these!? Please!" Alyssa beamed as she dropped her grasp on her father's hand, before bouncing her way over to a glass door that had shown multiple ice creams. But she was specifically glued to a box that had shown blueberry popsicles on the front. Zach shook his head as he approached the small girl.

"I don't think we can, babe. Tomorrow we can though" he said sweetly and bending down to her level. She pouted as she faced her father. The sight almost made Zach give in. Instead he stood up once more, grabbing her hand. They continued to walk down the aisle, Alyssa obviously no longer cheerful like she once was. It upset Zach. But he just couldn't buy it.

"Hey, wait!" Zach kept walking as he thought the voice was for someone else. But once he felt a hand on his shoulder, he turned around seeing a man wearing a hood and sunglasses on his face. He held a box of the same popsicles in his hand, along with a few dollar bills. But it seems he froze, making Zach confused.

"Um, hello?" Zach spoke with a light chuckle. Alyssa stepped behind her father in caution. She didn't like how he wore all dark colors and couldn't see his face well. Zach placed his hand on her head, bringing her closer.

"H-Here. All kids deserve a little treat" the man finally replied. He outstretched the box, along with the money to pay for it. Zach instantly shook his head, taking a few steps back. He was beginning to get a little creeped out by the stranger.

"Thanks, but it's fine" Zach smiled as he began to turn around. He grabbed Alyssa's hand once more, just about to walk away. He of course was stopped as the stranger reached out and touched his shoulder once again. Zach froze. He looked back at the man once more and shrugged his hand away. "I'm sorry for not taking your kind generation, but serious..." He trailed. He stopped altogether when he was finally able to see the stranger's face.

He had pushed his hood down, revealing his many curls; and he removed his glasses to show his sparkling hazel eyes. Zach felt himself choke on the air surrounding him, moving Alyssa further behind him.

"W-What are you doing here?" Zach managed out, looking around. The store was practically empty now, making the situation even worse. He wasn't able to escape through a crowd.

"I have a show here. We'll be staying for a week, before taking off" the person Zach hated seeing stated simply. He took a glance down at Alyssa and grinned. She hid behind her father completely now, hiding her face in his shirt. "Is that?" He asked and motioning towards the little girl. Zach gave a small nod, moving a little so she was shown once more.

"Attention all shoppers. The store will be closing in a hour" a female seemed to say over the intercom, catching their attention. Zach perked at that, grabbing his daughter's hand.

"We gotta go. See ya later, Jack."

The two walked past the other, Alyssa looking back at the man who replicated a few of her features. Jack caught her stare and instantly jogged to catch up with them. He walked beside Zach, bringing his hood up.

"Can we talk? Maybe figure this all out. I haven't seen you in years. I would like to know what you and my daughter have been up to" Jack rushed out. Zach stopped in his tracks, looking at Jack with a glare.

"She's not your daughter. You lost the right to call her that" Zach coldly responded. Alyssa frowned at his tone, never seeing him like this. Jack was disappointed but masked it with a blank expression.

"I wanna talk. That's it. And if you're up for it, meet me at the park tomorrow at three" it was the last words said before Jack placed his sunglasses back on his face, walking away. Zach watched him go, so many things running through his mind.

"Who was that daddy?" Alyssa finally spoke up.

"I'll tell you later, yeah?" Zach smiled down at her. She nodded, the two continuing their shopping and then leaving. And even when he got home, making the two a simple dinner; Zach wasn't all that hungry.

°°°
It might seem boring now, but I promise it'll get better.

-Nevaeh