poor baby | 24

Chapter 24:
Poor baby

"Would you take the wheel, if I lose control?"
-Jess Glynne (Take Me Home)

Zach placed his run down car randomly in the parking lot, his body fidgeting as he rushed to get up and inside the large building known as a hospital. Jack tried to get him to calm down, but no words or gentle touches made the younger feel better. The thought of Alyssa having to even be in such place really started to take a toll on Zach and mess with his head. Alyssa meant everything to him, and if she left he wouldn't know what to do with himself. So as he got out the car, slamming the door shut behind him, Zach dashed towards the entrance. He almost ran into a few doctors who casually walked by, only mumbling small apologies.

Zach looked around the large building, stopping when he seen a large receptionist desk. No one stood at the post, causing Zach to tug at his hair. His breathing even began to pick up. A hand being placed on his shoulder only caused the brunette to jump in his spot. He whipped around to see his mother and younger brother. Then getting closer was a panting Jack. He leaned against the desk, trying to regain his breathing.

"Where is she? What happened?" Zach quickly asked. He grabbed hold of his mother's arms, squeezing when she wasn't saying anything.

"She's gonna be just fine Zach. A minor concussion is all. She was playing with Reece at the park when she fel-"

"Where is she? I gotta see her!" Zach then rushed. His mother kept trying to calm him. There was still a few things she needed to explain to him.

"She's just down the hall in room 109. But Za-"

She was once again stopped as Zach was already pushing past her and once more running. He didn't care that people began to stare. And he didn't care whether or not the others were following behind him. He really just needed to see his daughter. A strained grin was presented on his face when he seen the known door. He didn't bother to knock, grabbing the metal knob and turning it to hear a click. He slowly opened the door, four heads turning to face him. He knew three of them as his family, but he didn't know the little boy with blue eyes.

"H-Hi" Zach squeaked. He stepped in the room, getting closer to the hospital bed. All faces turned to sad ones. Zach stood beside Alyssa, sticking his hand out for her but she moved back in fear. Zach was shocked. "Hey, it's okay baby."

"Zach, your mother didn't tell you?" His father piped up. Zach furrowed his eyebrows and faced his male parent. A small shake of his head is enough to make the father of three sigh. "Son, she has amnesia."

"What?" He breathed. He moved away from Alyssa, staring at her with glossy eyes.

"I was going to tell you, but you ran away so fast" it was his mother. Ryan, Jack and her all entered the room, solemn expressions. "But she might recognize you. She realized who I was only a few minutes after she woke up. Everyone else she doesn't seem to know."

Jack walked up to Zach and grabbed his hand. The younger tensed at the touch but sucked in a breath, approaching Alyssa once more. He sat on the edge, Jack keeping a hand on his shoulder.

"Hi princess" Zach smiled with a chuckle. She just stared at him, her hazel eyes darting from left to right in hopes of understanding his features. She was upset when she couldn't seem to match the pieces. "You may not know right now, but I'm your daddy."

Zach lifted his shirt, showing his small scar. Alyssa shifted closer to see it better. She even raised her hand to touch it, but decided against it as she still didn't know who he was.

"That's where you came out. You used to always joke about how you wanted a little brother or sister" she smiled at that. The two then stared at each other, her blinking as if her vision needed to be cleared. She then cocked her head to the side, sticking her tongue out in concentration.

"Daddy?"

Zach perked. He then nodded his head for confirmation. She grinned, jumping up and falling into his arms.

"Daddy, my head hurts" she giggles before groans.

"Wait! You know who I am?" Zach wondered as he cupped her cheeks. She pushed his hands away, sqeezing his cheeks instead.

"You my daddy! You name is Zach" she answered. She then flicked her attention to the little boy. "And he's the angel who helped me daddy."

"What?"

Zach jumped awake, sweat beading down his forehead. Tears carelessly fell down his face, as his breathing continued to run at a rapid pace. His body shook as he looked around his dark room. The clock on his night stand read 2:30 am. The brunette clutched his sheets, before yanking them off of his burning body. He allowed his bare feet to touch the cold ground, while he wiped the tears from his face.

It was the same nightmare everyday. Zach hated it. And just like every night after the horrible dream, Zach would drag his feet over towards his daughter's bedroom. He slowly pushed the door open, stepping inside before flicking the light switch on. He watched as Alyssa sat up from her bed and smiled bright at him. He then felt a hand being placed on his shoulder. Zach smiled back at her before feeling his eyes begin to tear up. He even looked back to see Jack grinning lightly at him.

"We love you daddy" she whispered.

"I love you too baby" he turned the lights back off sighing. He turned them back on. They weren't there. "I miss you guys so much."

-

Famous celebrity Jack Robert Avery pronounced dead after bullet wound bursting an artery. Internal bleeding drowned him.

-

Five year old Alyssa Marie Herron-Avery pronounced dead within her comma.

-

The end.

I started crying as I wrote the end of this. No joke. And I didn't even know I was crying until I finished.

I'm sorry.

-Nevaeh