help | 20

Chapter 20:
Help

"She was struck down, it was her doom"
-Michael Jackson (Smooth Criminal)

Zach never did tell Jack what happened. After all the tears, small laughs, and few kisses; Zach didn't say a single word that explains why he visited Jack a day earlier than when they agreed on. And of course Jack didn't want to push the older into speaking as it seemed like a touchy subject, but then again it was his job to know. He wouldn't be able to protect them if he didn't know what harm was protruding towards them. Trying to understand the situation even started to give him a headache. The family of three were currently eating out for dinner, Jack simply observing the father and daughter. He couldn't see anything wrong with them.

Eventually with a smile Zach looked at Jack. The smile wasn't there for long when the younger managed to see Jack's distressed and focused stare. Instead a frown formed and he was releasing a sigh. Jack felt bad for dropping his mood; but he really wanted to know the cause of Zach running away.

"Take a picture, it'll last longer" Zach bluntly stated as he popped another french frie in his mouth. Jack rolled his eyes before continuing to observe his lover.

"Zach, what's going on?"

The brunette stopped chewing to eye Jack. His muscles became tense as everything from only a few hours before started to flood his mind once more. Yet while running his hands over his face, Zach finally decided it was time to talk.

"My ex boyfriend stopped by my house. He asked for us to get back together. And when I said no, he didn't like that" Jack sat straight, yearning to jump over the table and hold Zach close. But that would be a little dramatic so he stayed seated. "He used to abuse me in more ways than one. I'm just scared that one day he's going to pop up and take Alyssa away from me."

Now Jack didn't know how to feel. He wanted to punch whomever this ex boyfriend was. But then again this was practically his fault. If he never left Zach all those years ago, he wouldn't be fearing his and Alyssa's life. They would feel comfortable with telling him anything. They would know what it's like to have love being given to them. Now it's a constant battle to knock down different walls for a small grain of trust.

"I'm sorry" Jack breathed.

"Daddy I'm done wit my fwood" Alyssa said after while pushing her plate away. Zach watched Jack for a moment longer before turning towards the little girl that sat beside him. He grinned at her, while taking a napkin to help clean any mess she managed to make.

Jack watched with a lump in his throat.

"I'm really sorry that you had to go through all of this alone. From giving birth to taking care of her" Jack finally spoke again. Zach snapped his head at him; noticing that he was focused on the table. His fingers fiddled with many rings that aligned his hands. "You shouldn't have to do that. It's my fault you have to run away from your ex. You wouldn't even have an ex if I never left you for some dumb career."

"Ja-" he was stopped when his phone started to ring. The loud tune managed to catch the attention from other people who were also in the restaurant. Zach didn't waste time to answer the call, not bothering to see who it was from. But his interest were perked as he heard his mother's voice.

"Zach! Zach, baby where are you right now!?" His mother asked quickly and with fear. Zach furrowed his eyebrows at her tone. He began to stand out of his seat and motion for the other two to do so as well.

"Mom, what's wrong?" Zach replied just as rushed. A sob escaped his mother's mouth before a shouted "no, stop" was heard on her side of the line. Zach looked at Jack with wide eyes. He removed the phone from his ear. "We need to go. Now!"

"Z-Zach! Please help. Mike is here and he's a-angry" the older woman choked out. And she would have said more if the call didn't disconnect. Zach immediately grabbed hold of Alyssa and started to rush out of the building. Jack watched, before slapping money down on the table and scurrying after him.

°°°

"Stay here with Alyssa" Zach blurted as he parks the car in front of his mother's known house. Immediately Jack looks at Zach.

"What? No. Za-" Zach shook his head, stopping him.

"Stay here with Alyssa. I need you to drive away if things start to get too out of hand" Zach was staring at him with pleading eyes. His brown orbs were glossed over as he was hoping that Jack would just listen to him. Luckily the curly haired male nodded with a sigh.

"Fine. But I love you and be careful" Jack pecked his lips. Zach smiled as he returned the kiss.

"I love you too."

Zach then turned his head towards the back seat, chuckling as he seen his beautiful daughter fast asleep. He brushed a few strands of her hair out of her face, smiling as he seen her grin the lightest. The sound of a yell being heard is what caused Zach to quickly exit the car. He jogged his way towards the front door, Jack watching through his window.

As Zach stepped up to the door, he could see that it was already torn open. It raised his anger and curiosity as he stepped through and into the average sized home. Immediately he could see belongings of all sorts thrown across the floor. Shouts were heard from the second floor, forcing Zach to drag his body towards the stairs and up them. And on the way, he grabbed the nearest item for a weapon. Carefully he maneuvered around his old home, trying to find out where all the chaos has been happening.

A yelp and a thud being heard from his parent's room was enough to make him dash over. He slammed the door open, frightened at the sight. There stood Mike, hovering over his family with a gun. They were huddled together, crying as everything fell silent and all eyes were on him.

"Hey there babe, so glad you could join us" Mike smiled devilishly. Zach felt his hands begin to shake. Mike was crazy, but never grabbing a gun crazy.

"Mike, put down the gun" Zach spoke gently. Of course the other just shook his head and laughed. Mike simply removed the gun from the small family and put it on Zach.

"What do I have to do to make you love me? We were so perfect together" Mike began to tear up. "And I know I lost my temper, but I promise I didn't mean to. It just happens. Especially when you feel the need to disrespect me."

"It's okay. Just put down the gun, and we can sort all of this out" Zach seemed to beg. Mike allowed tears to fall as he yanked at his hair.

"I can't, I can't, I can't" he repeated. Mike aligned the gun, before closing his eyes.

Bang!

°°°

Fin.

Kidding.

-Nevaeh