dangerous | 18

Chapter 18:
Dangerous

"Should have never crossed that line with ya"
-Angel (Fifth Harmony)

A soft knock at the front door is what took Zach's attention from his daughter; who was laying on her stomach in front of him and coloring in a flower. Zach slowly stood to his feet, explaining to Alyssa he would be right back. She of course understood, not even lifting her gaze from scribbling in another flower petal orange.

The pale brunette walked up to the door, looking through the peep hole in caution. His entire mood dropped the second he had seen a familiar face looking around aimlessly. A state of fear was plastered on Zach's face as his hands started to shake. He quickly went back over to Alyssa and grabbed her from the floor. She squealed at the action, worry immediately bombarding her mind as she seen how unhappy her father looked. He was going towards his bedroom.

"Daddy, what you doin?" Alyssa finally asked. Zach was leading her towards the large closet. He opened the door, moving a few clothes around before gently sitting her down. Another knock that seemed to be more forceful had been heard at the front door, scary both family members. "Daddy?"

"It's okay baby. You stay here and don't say anything. I'll be back, alright?" Zach rushed out, looking behind him before back at her. The two stared at each other, emotions swarming all over. They've been in this place before, but Alyssa wouldn't remember. She was too little then.

Eventually Alyssa nodded, kissing her father's cheek before curling up and hugging a loose shirt of his close. Zach let out a shaky breath, standing to his feet and closing the closet door. He left a little crack to give her light. And when making sure she was safely hidden, Zach scurried back to the front door and looked out the peep hole once more. The man he was terrified of was still there. Even more now, as he looked angry.

"Zachary, I know you're here! Your car is parked outside!" The man yelled out. Zach jumped at his booming voice, cursing himself lightly. But when swallowing the lump that was stuck in the middle of his throat, Zach unlocked the door and slowly opened it. He kept it at a small crack, too scared of what might happen if he opened it all the way.

"What are you doing here, M-Mike?" Zach spoke, hating how he managed to stutter. "I had gotten a restraining order. I'm calling the cops" Zach threatened as his shaky hands had felt around for his phone in his pockets. He mentally slapped himself when he didn't find anything.

"What!? No! Zach, I came to apologize. For everything" His voice was soft, but it was still firm; scaring Zach. Immediately the brunette began to shake his head. His thoughts had turned to Alyssa and how scared she might be right now. He couldn't have someone as dangerous as Mike in her life. It would be endless torture for the both of them.

"Leave Mike" Zach searched around for his phone. He eventually spotted it on the coffee table. It was far enough where Zach would have to leave the door and go over to it. He didn't want to move, too petrified that Mike would take a drastic action and try to harm him. "Please just leave."

"I'm not leaving until you give me another chance" Mike's words had gotten stronger. "I could help with Alyssa like I used to. Give you the love you need. We could be happy again."

"We were never happy Mike. You hurt me. Both physically and mentally. Remember that?" Zach had gotten a little bit of courage, glaring at the other with a clenched jaw. Mike seen his tense state and curled his own hands into fists.

"I promise I got help for that ba-"

"Don't call me that!" Zach screamed out. "I swear to God, if you don't get off my porch this second, I will dial 9-1-1."

Mike simply chuckled at his words. And with a swift movement, he pushed the door open. Zach stumbled back by the force, almost tripping. He caught himself in time and his eyes widened at the notice of a predator now in his home. He snapped his attention to his bedroom door, his breathing picking up when he seen a little girl sticking her head out. He waved her away, her squealing and slamming the bedroom door closed. Mike raised an eyebrow and smirked.

"Oh, is that her? I should say a quick hi. Seeing as I haven't seen her since she was a few months old" Mike licked his lips, his new focus being the bedroom. Zach jumped up at the words, running over to Mike and shoving him to the side. Mike managed to slam his head against the wall. And the brunette felt his world crash the second he seen Mike stare back at him in fury.

Zach quickly turned around, trying to get to his phone that sat on the table. He grabbed the small device, taking a glance at Mike who was rubbing his head and slowly making his way over to him. Zach didn't hesitate to turn his phone on and go to his emergency call. And it wasn't until he was about to type in the last one, when the phone was smacked out of his hands. The cellular device skidded under the couch, Zach only seeing it land under before he was on the floor. His back shot a force of pain from the impact.

"How dare you try and keep us apart? We were meant to be" Mike spat as he grabbed a fist full of Zach's hair and brought him up from the ground. Zach's eyes stained of tears, his arms weakly trying to punch and kick the man still holding him hostage.

"G-Go to hell" Zach managed as he swung his leg back once more and hit Mike in the shin. The man groaned, dropping his hold on Zach to grasp his leg. When safely stable on his feet, the brunette took a blow towards Mike's face, him falling back in shock.

Seeing the man on the floor in pain gave Zach the chance to run. He went towards his bedroom door and quickly asked Alyssa to open it. She was a little hesitant, making Zach impatient. He could already see Mike getting up from his crawling position. Of course when Alyssa was finally seen at the door, Zach grabbed hold of her and tried to make his way to the front door. He was stopped the second Mike had stood before them with a bloody nose. Zach took steps back as the other took steps closer. Both Herron members had tears falling from their eyes.

"If you just take me back Zachy, we could forget this ever happened" Mike said calmly. It made the other notice how crazy he really was. He quickly shook his head, looking behind him every now and then in hopes of not tripping over anything.

"N-Never in a million years" Zach shot back. He looked behind him once more, spotting a pair of Alyssa's safety scissors. An idea formed as he looked at the scissors and then at the distance between them and the door. A shaky breath escaped past his lips.

"But baby, we're perfect for each other."

The nickname was enough to make Zach's body twitch in anger. He placed Alyssa on the ground, her instantly clinging to his leg.

"Alyssa go over there" Zach instructed, pointing in the direction of where the front door was. She looked up at him, ready to protest, but he beat her too it. "Go over there now!" She gave a small squeak, scurrying over towards the door and shaking as she stared at her father through blurred vision.

And as Zach took a few more steps back, he grabbed hold of the safety scissors and jabbed them into Mike's stomach. The other man screamed out in pain, falling to the ground once more as he observed his new wound. Zach stared in shock as he couldn't believe he just did that. But he quickly snapped back to reality as he went over to his daughter, scooping her up in his arms and grabbing his car keys from a hook. He didn't bother looking back at the bleeding man on his floor. He kept his focus on his car and escaping.

He unlocked the driver's door, taking a seat and placing Alyssa on the passenger side. He quickly buckled her in tight, right after putting his keys in the ignition. The engine roared alive, Zach then flicking his view towards the front door. Mike was leaning up against it, a hand held against his stomach where the scissors once were. Blood stained his shirt.

"He just doesn't give up, does he?" Zach mumbled to himself as he closed his car door and then backing out of his small drive way and onto the road. And as he drove past the other, Zach flipped him off.