bullet wound | 21

Chapter 21:
Bullet wound

"If you ain't here, I just can't breathe"
-Jordin Sparks featuring Chris Brown (No Air)

Bang!

The sound echoed off the walls, no one moving a muscle expect for the body that now fell to the ground. A high pitched scream was then heard, everyone knowing it belonged to the mother of three. More tears were being shed as eyes eventually dropped to the limp body; blood spilling effortlessly. When the gun was fired, the bullet was meant for Zach. The brunette knew that. It was the reason why Mike decided to torment his family. But as he held his dizzy head, he understood he was untouched. His family was untouched. They all were huddled in the corner, sobbing from the events.

The gun fell with a thud beside the laying body, Zach noticing Mike too was unharmed. The other was silently staring at what he had done, before he too fell to the ground in a heap of cries. It didn't take long before Zach was recognizing who had been his shield. His body began to shake while he screamed out. Everything felt like it was going in slow motion. Zach grabbed the bleeding body, holding the person close. Zach felt his hand begin to get damp and noticed that the wound was taken to the side. His entire hand was red as he angrily stared at it.

"You fucking prick!" Zach lashed out as he carefully stood up. His hands bundled into fist; the brunette taking strides over to a still crying Mike. And just as the other glanced up at Zach with blurred vision, Zach didn't hesitate to throw his fist. Mike landed back with a grunt. "You took everything from me the second I met you! And now I wish it was you who was on the floor bleeding!"

Zach straddled the weak man and didn't hesitate to keep his fist in contact with Mike's face. Zach heard cracks and could see blood splattering from the damage he has done.

"I hate you, I hate you!" Zach shouted as he seen Mike slowly close his eyes. A figure pulling his body away forced Zach to go limp and just cry his frustration. He seen that it was his father. Zach held his father tight, mumbling his thoughts through chocked sobs.

"We need a hospital now! Any longer an-" Zach's mother was cut off from three new men entering the room. They wore all blue, black guns tight in their grip as they scanned the place over. Immediately two of the men went towards the unconscious bodies, while the last went up to the woman of the house.

It was short moments of silent talking and paramedics walking through, when a police officer stepped up to Zach and his father.

"The car parked out front, there is a little girl inside. Does she belong to this family?" Zach perked at his words, jumping to his feet.

"Alyssa!" He immediately dashed out of the room, soon out of the house. The dimming sun blinded him as he wiped away his tears. He looked around to see two police cars and an ambulance surrounding the house with their flashing lights. A few neighbors even stood out on their front porch from curiosity. But of course that wasn't Zach's focus.

He approached his car, tapping on the window. He watched as Alyssa's tiny head looked up and her hazel eyes widened at the sight of him. She didn't hesitate to open the car door and allow her father to scoop her up in his arms. The hug they shared was tight. Zach spoke soothing words to her, while they both allowed tears to sting their eyes.

"Papa?" Alyssa's small voice squeaked. Zach turned around so he faced the house once more. He seen two male paramedics walk out with Jack laying down on a gurney. He no longer had on a shirt while his side was bandaged, the blood seeping through effortlessly. The two Herron members watched his lifeless hand fall from his side, before he was hauled up into the ambulance.

Zach brought Alyssa's head to his chest, so she no longer could see the scene. Her tears lightly soaked his shirt, paining Zach. The brunette kept his eyes on the house though, watching as a now conscious Mike was being brought of the house in handcuffs. A look of despair was written across his face while he kept his view distant. The two eventually locked eyes, Mike being the one to break it immediately after. He was stuffed inside a police car.

°°°

Zach bounced his leg impatiently as he sat down in the waiting room. The seats were uncomfortable, forcing Zach's bottom to go numb. Alyssa stayed back with his family, Zach not wanting her to be involved in the problem more than she already was. Of course she fought back, wanting to see her other parent but Zach refused. He sat all alone. Tears still stained his rosy cheeks, while his knuckles scarred from abusing Mike only hours before. He didn't bother looking descent as he kept his mind on Jack.

Someone who left him, yet came back and didn't hesitate to take a bullet.

It made Zach sick to his stomach.

"Family of Jack Avery?" a woman announced to the few people who also waited in the same room. They just weren't there for the same person Zach was. And at the mention of Jack, Zach shot up, gaining some attention.

"Here! I'm here. Please tell me he's okay" Zach frantically spoke as he approached the nurse. She smiled before looking down at her clipboard.

"Mr Avery will be just fine. He had gotten done with surgery and is now in the recovery unit" Zach sighed deeply as he ran a hand through his hair. "You may see him if you'd like?"

"That would be great" Zach grinned weakly. The nurse nodded as she guided Zach past double doors and down a few hallways. It wasn't until they stopped in front of a large brown door did Zach begin to get nervous.

"He's right in there. Good luck, and I hope he heals" the nurse smiled solemnly before walking away. Zach quietly thanked her before entering the dimly lit room. He could see Jack laying down on the uncomfortable hospital bed. His eyes were closed while his breathing was steady. Zach smiled with tears forming.

The brunette approached the bed, taking a seat in one of the chairs that sat beside Jack. Zach grabbed his hand and interlocked their fingers.

"I'm sorry" Zach cried. "I love you so much."

°°°

Welp, that happened.

-Nevaeh