late | 7

Chapter 7:
Late

"I got lost in what we used to be"
-CaRter (How You/You've been)

The light pounding on the front door, made Zach jump awake. He looked around his bedroom in caution, but only came up with a sleeping Alyssa beside him. And when hearing the sound again, Zach knew it was just someone trying to get his attention from outside. He made sure Alyssa was still sound asleep, before getting up and leaving his room. He carelessly rubbed at his eyes, letting out a yawn. He heard a knock on the front door once more, Zach then unlocking it and swinging it open. He was immediately met with a smiling Jack.

"Hey Zach" he chirped. He even trailed his eyes over the male's more sculpted body. He absentmindedly licked his lips before staring into Zach's chocolate brown eyes.

"W-What are you doing here?" Zach stumbled out. He moved to the side, opening the door a little more so Jack was allowed to enter. Jack took up the offer and walked in the small house, remembering every detail. Zach closed the door behind him and leaned against it with crossed arms.

"I decided to come over a little earlier. Rehearsals don't start until two" Jack answered. Zach looked at him wide eyed, getting up from the door.

"Wait! What time is it?"

"Two minutes til twelve. Why?" Jack responds as he pulled his phone out to check. He stuffed it right back in his pocket, watching as Zach began to panic. He pushed past Jack and ran right into his room. Jack followed, a little concerned for the troubled male. He walked in to see Zach rummaging through his closest murmuring things to himself. He then shifted his attention towards a large queen sized bed where Alyssa now sat up, rubbing at her little eyes.

Jack smiled. He walked over to the bed, waiting for the four year old to notice.

"Hey, babe" Jack spoke up. Alyssa flicked her head in his direction, a smile breaking out on her face as she noticed who stood before her.

"Papa!" She squealed. She jumped up and tried her best to run across the bed, before jumping into his arms. Jack engulfed her into a hug, spinning the two around. "See, I told you I would be back."

Alyssa leaned from the hug and giggled. She then furrowed her eyebrows, tilting her head obviously curious.

"Where your fwiends?"

Jack chuckled, placing her back on the bed, sitting beside her.

"Oh, you'll meet them later. Promise" Jack answered, tickling her side. She let out a giggle. She even tried to tickle him back, but failed as she couldn't contain her laughter.

"Okay well, Alyssa missed half of school today. My parents probably already left for work, Ryan is at school himself, I'm late for my own job and I wouldn't be able to hire a babysitter at this time" Zach ranted as he struggled to slip on a plain white shirt. He already had on black khakis pants, a belt through the loops but not buckled. And he also had on his black shoes, but they weren't tied. Jack chuckled at him, Alyssa watching her father in curiosity. He was speaking way too fast for her to comprehend.

"Relax. You'll think of something" Jack spoke.

"No, I have no clue on what to do. Alyssa can't come with me. Last time I brought her, she spilt coffee all over some random man, causing me to be screamed at by my boss" Zach then left the room, heading in the direction of the bathroom. It wasn't long before Jack and Alyssa were standing behind him. They watched him brush his teeth, the little girl wanting to brush her teeth also. She climbed on the counter, grabbing her princess toothbrush and squirting a small amount of toothpaste on it.

And that's when an idea went off for Jack.

"How about I take her for the day? You can come get her when you're done with work" Zach looked at him as if he was crazy. He spit the extra toothpaste in the sink, rinsing before turning to face Jack correctly.

"No" was all Zach stated before reaching for the towel not too far away. He wiped at his mouth, drying all the excess water from his face.

"What? Why? I think I can handle our daughter for a day."

"And that's where you're wrong. Jack, I just don't think the celebrity life is for her" Zach then turned towards Alyssa as he seen her spit into the sink.

"All done daddy." She smiled, reaching out for him. He lifted her to place her back down on the ground. She pulled the towel from her father's hands, wiping her mouth.

"She'll be fine. Just for today. Especially since you're probably dangerously late" Zach cursed as he remembered he had a job to attend. He looked at a pouting Jack, before down at an excited Alyssa. And with a sigh, Zach gave in.

"Fine. But I swear Jack-" he was cut short.

"For the last time, she'll be fine. Now go before I get you fired" Jack smiled, his eyes beaming bright. Zach rolled his eyes, bending down to kiss Alyssa's head.

"Be good for papa, okay?" She just nodded while flashing him her teeth. Zach chuckled, standing straight to look at Jack once more. He nodded, before leaving the bathroom and the house altogether. Alyssa looked up at Jack now, bouncing on her toes.

"What we gonna do papa!?" She asked cheerfully. Jack picked her up, placing a kiss on her cheek.

"We are gonna get you dressed. And then we'll leave to go see my friends. Sound fun?" He wondered aloud. She just shook her head quickly, squirming to be let down. And when she was finally let go from his grasp, she left her father's room before running into her own. Jack followed her with a grin plastered on his face.

He entered her room to see the four year old pulling things from her white dresser. Jack chuckled at her focused attitude; going up to her and helping. It took a lot of whines and playful glares before the two decided on an outfit.