night | 6

Chapter 6:
Night

"Even if I try to push you out, will you return?"
-Kelly Clarkson (Dark Side)

It was going on a fair time of 8:30, making Zach prepare Alyssa for her bed time. The whole situation made Zach irritated as she refused to do anything. She didn't want to bathe; she didn't want to put on her comfortable pajamas; and she most certainly didn't want to sleep. She sat in her bed, holding her white bunny, a pout on her lips. Zach stood observing her upset form; his hands on his hips as he gave her a scowl. He hated how she has been acting. She was misbehaving, which was foreign for her. The father of one assumed it was all because Jack was here and she wanted to prove something.

"But daddy! I'm not sweepy" Alyssa whined as she rubbed at her slightly red eyes. He didn't know if it was because she was tired or if it was because of the few tears she shed. "Please just let me sweep with you and papa."

Zach raised his eyebrows, moving closer to her. He got on his knees, making him eye level with the four year old. His scowl dropped into a frown.

"Papa is leaving, princess" he spoke softly while reaching for her hand. Alyssa just looked back at Zach in shock. She jumped up from her bed and ran past Zach in a hurry. Zach was surprised by her actions and watched her leave the small room. But with a sigh, he stood back up on his feet and followed her. And upon entering the main room, he was met with Jack holding the tired girl in his arms. He was swaying and gently soothing her sobbing body.

"Please don't weave papa. I be a good girl. I be a good girl and you stay" Alyssa choked between sniffles and small hiccups. Jack pouted from seeing her so emotional; Zach dropping his head not standing the sight.

"I have to go, baby. But I'll be back tomorrow. And then we can play again. Sound fun, yeah? I'll even invite my friends" Jack told her. She instantly shook her head as to say "no" before stuffing her face in the crook of his neck. Jack continued to sway back and forth, whispering out a small tune. Zach perked as he knew the familiar song. He used to sing it to Zach all the time.

"I'll ride into battle for you, just so we could. We could be free, we could be free."

It was a song Jack only sang to him; or that was until he went and made it public to his entire fan base. Now everyone who loves the famous band, knows a song that was so intimate at one point in time. Zach seen tears blur his vision, making him wipe them away quickly. He looked at the other two and seen that Alyssa was now sleeping soundly, her bunny hanging loosely in her fingertips. Jack noticed too, slowly approaching Zach.

"Here" Jack grinned as he handed Zach his daughter. She shifted a bit, making the male rock her gently. "I'll be back tomorrow only for an hour or so because I have the show. Sound okay with you?"

Zach sheepishly nodded. Jack grabbed his phone from his pocket and went to his contacts. He looked at the younger smiling.

"Same number?" Jack wondered as he typed a few things. Zach watched him, before giving a small "yeah." Jack typed a couple of more things before he shut his phone off and stuffed it back in his pants pocket. "Today was amazing, Zach. Thanks for giving me a chance."

Zach shook his head.

"I did it for Alyssa" Jack frowned at his words.

"And I hope you eventually do it for us. Goodnight." The other mumbled as he placed a small kiss on Zach's cheek. He gave one last smile before turning and walking out the door. It wasn't until he heard the door shut, that Zach relaxed his tense muscles. He let out a sigh, before walking back towards Alyssa's personal bedroom. He gently placed her in the soft bed, draping the yellow and white blanket over her small body. She smiled, clutching the stuffed bunny closer to her body. Zach grinned, wiping a few hairs from her face before placing a kiss on her head.

He shut the lights off, making sure her night light was on. He looked at her one last time before walking out.

He went back towards the front door and locked it. He ran his hands over his face as everything suddenly became all complicated. Zach eventually crept back to his own bedroom and changed into something more comfortable. Sweatpants and no shirt. He dove right into his bed, sighing with content as he was welcomed with soft sheets. Zach felt himself fall asleep a lot quicker than usual. But he was quickly shot awake from the movement of his bed dipping.

He looked to see a form slipping under his white sheets, snuggling close.

"Princess?"

He didn't get a response as he was met with soft snores. Zach just pulled her closer, once again leaving a small peck on her head. And he would have fallen asleep too if his phone didn't chime, proving he had gotten a notification. Zach reached over to grab it, turning it on for the bright light to blind him only the tiniest. He seen that the notification was for a message.

Unknown number has sent a message.

Zach furrowed his eyebrows, opening the message obviously curious. But he was soon smiling as he seen where the message had came from. It was from Jack.

Unknown number:
Goodnight Zachy x

Zach quickly put the number as a new contact before typing out a response.

Zach:
Goodnight Jack

He then put his phone back on the night stand, taking in a deep breath before releasing it. His heart pounded as he thought about all of the old times that the two had shared. Nothing but smiles were present wherever they went. On occasions they had their petty fights, but Zach didn't like thinking about those memories. It would only lead up to Jack leaving him for some singing career within a boy band. And nothing could top the pain that the male felt that day. He felt like he cried on his mother's shoulder for hours.

No. He knew he did.

°°°

Y'all should go check out my other books that I recently published :)

-Nevaeh