apart | 15

Chapter 15:
Apart

"For months I've had my doubts"
-Sam Smith (I'm Not The Only One)

The tour bus had came to a stop in the known place called Los Angeles, California. The bright sun had shone through the windows, and lighting up the small area where all four boys carelessly sat enjoying each other's company. They thought nothing of the no longer moving vehicle and still sat patiently. Or that was until their manager had stepped out from the backroom with a refreshed smile. He walked so he towered over the four and spoke.

"Get up, get out! We're here and you have an interview within an hour; then right after you guys have to start rehearsal."

All four groaned yet didn't object. They all stood from their seats and exited the bus, squinting the second the sun had struck them in the face. They all began to walk the streets of such place, Jack feeling his pants pocket begin to vibrate. He didn't hesitate to reach for it and answer the call. He gave a confident "hello" a happy response being met in return.

"Hey, Jacky! Are you here yet? I have a surprise for you!" The voice of Gabriela rang through his ear. Jack smiled at the sound of her voice, but then frowned when he realised what he had to do. And it'll be even worse, now that she seems so excited to see him.

"Yeah, I'm here. Where did you wanna meet up?"

"My place. This surprise can't be moved. Or well it could, but then it wouldn't be as special" she instantly responds. Jack nods at her words but then gives a small "sure" as she couldn't see him. A small squeal was heard before the line went dead. Jack sighed as he stuffed his phone back in his pocket before facing the others.

"I gotta meet up with Gabbie" Jack blurts, causing the three others to look at him skeptically.

"You're dumping her right?" Jonah asks after; Jack only sighing.

"Yeah, hopefully things go well" Jack then punched Corbyn in the arm. The faux blonde held his wound, glaring. "And you also need to end things if you wanna keep sleeping with Prince Charming."

Daniel rolled his eyes.

"I know, I know. And I promise I'll do it soon" Corbyn stated as he wrapped an arm around Daniel's shoulders and pulling him closer.

°°°

Jack lightly knocked on the wooden brown door that kept him and Gabbie apart. He let out a deep sigh as this was the last thing he wanted to do. He knew she was a sweet and caring person. She doesn't deserve someone like Jack; who goes behind her back and cheat. But then again he never was really in love with her. Nor did he ever really have any feelings. To him she was more of a best friend. Nothing more and nothing less. And the second he had seen her bright smile, he felt his heart break. He plastered a fake grin on his own face before slowly entering.

"Hey baby, ready for your present?" She smirks. Jack sunk his shoulders and shook his head slightly.

"Gabbie, we need to talk."

"And we can talk after I show you your surprise" she got closer, grabbing his collar and smashing their lips together. Jack grabbed hold of her waist and gently pushed her away. She simply furrowed her eyebrows, groaning in annoyance. "Come on, Jack! Can't you tell that I'm ready to have sex with you!?"

Jack finally looked her over to see that she was wearing a silky pink robe, her pulling on it to prove that she wore nothing underneath. It made the curly haired male gulp down the lump that was hidden deep in his throat. He once again shook his head.

"I'm breaking up with you!" Jack exclaims. Gabbie took a few steps back in shock. Her eyes were wide as her jaw hung. Her hands were lightly shaking as she kept her eyes glued on the man that stood before her. Jack just stared at the ground, scared of the emotion that he would see within her eyes. "I'm so-"

"You're sorry? You're sorry!?" Gabbie started to tear up. "No, I'm sorry that I decided to ever trust you. I should have known from the start that you didn't love me like you said!" She pushed him, making him stumble back. He wasn't hurt. Gabbie was. "Why? I wanna know what finally caused you to do this."

Jack kept his gaze to the ground as he muttered out an answer.

"I'm gay, Gabbie."

It was almost inaudible. But she heard it and couldn't help the gasp.

"And my daughter's mom, she's actually a he. I'm sorry Gabbie, but I still love him" Jack finally looked up at her to see that she was staring back in disbelief. He understood. It was a lot to take in. "At one time I did love you Gabbie. And I always will, but just as friends."

She slowly shook her head in understanding. Small sniffles were heard as she finally dropped her head. Jack stood in front of her and went to touch her shoulder but she stopped him.

"Just please leave. Please" Jack nodded before turning on his heels and quietly leaving her home. He gave her one last solemn glance before shutting the front door. And as he stepped off the front porch he could hear a loud scream. He immediately turned around and felt guilty. But knowing that she needed space, he continued to walk down the long sidewalk. And as he passed multiple stores, his phone had begun to ring a second time that day.

He pulled it out and answered it without bothering to check whom was calling.

"Hello?" He bluntly says as the lines connect.

"Hi, papa! I miss you!" The voice of little girl Alyssa squeaked into the phone. Just the sound of her voice made Jack's spirits lift.

"Oh, hi baby! I miss you too."

"Pwease come home swoon. I dwon't know how wong I can take daddy saying that I need to eat my bwoccoli" she replies; another voice being heard on the other side soon after. Alyssa giggled. Jack himself chuckled.

"Don't worry baby, I'll be back as soon as I can. And tell daddy I said that you don't need to eat your broccoli tonight" Jack says while his smile gets wider with each second. And his daughter screaming "yay" into the phone was enough to make his whole evening better than it was.

"Papa said that, huh?" The voice of Zach was then heard within a distance. "Well then, let meet me talk to him" movement was sounded before Zach was fully handed the phone. "Jack, you don't get to tell her what she can and can not eat if you're all the way in a different state."

Jack laughed.

"Just trying to make her happy. I should be back home in two to three months" Jack sighs happily. Zach himself releases a deep breath.

"Do you think you'll be able to be back for her birthday? I told her you'll definitely be here by then" Zach asks.

"I should be. And if I'm not, I'll make it up to her. We'll do something fun. Just the three of us. Sound fine?"

"Yeah."

"Great. I'll call back later. Love you."

°°°

Welp...

-Nevaeh