stay | 4

Chapter 4:
Stay

"Another's hands have touched my skin"
-Shawn Mendes featuring Camila Cabello
(I Know What You Did Last Summer)

It was going on five o'clock, only a few people staying at the park. Everyone else was gone, probably getting their family ready for a great dinner and then tucked in tight for bed. Zach noticed the time and remembered he still had to shop for food; if he didn't want his mother killing him. So grabbing Alyssa's coat and travel cup, Zach stood to his feet and made his way over to the swings. The sight was of the little girl sitting on the swing with a smile on her face, while her other father lightly pushed her so she went back and forth. She couldn't contain the giggles and only brightened as she seen Zach approach. He stood in front of her moving form, smiling warmly.

"It's time to go, princess. We still gotta go shopping, before making dinner" Zach said gently making the girl pout. Jack stopped the swing, allowing his own smile to slowly drop. Alyssa jumped down from the swing, crossing her arms and stomping her foot.

"But I don't wanna go! I wanna stay with papa for a wittle wonger!" She exclaimed sternly. Zach looked at her shocked as she rarely acted like this. It only really happened when she was sick and refused to take medicine. Her father moved closer to her and looked down with a scowl.

"No. It's time to go. Say bye to papa" Zach replied sternly. Alyssa watched her father, the look on his face scaring her a little. So with a quivering lip and tear pricked eyes, Alyssa turned towards Jack and ran into his arms. Jack let out a breathy laugh, before lifting her in his arms and allowing the little girl to grip around his neck. Zach let out a scoff, knowing this all falls back to her attachment issues. Once she likes something, she doesn't want to see it go.

"Please don't go papa. You just got here" Alyssa whispered out to him through her small sobs. She leaned back from the hug, allowing Jack to see the small tears that ran down her cheeks. Jack grinned, before taking his thumb and wiping the tears away. "Maybe you can stay fow dinna?" She then began to wiggle in his grasp, obviously wanting to be let down. Jack willing let her go, Alyssa almost instantly running to Zach and pulling on the hem of his shirt. "Can papa stay fow dinna? Oh, please daddy!"

Zach looked between Jack and Alyssa.

"Maybe next time, babe. I gotta get back to my friends anyway" Jack had spoke up eventually. It took Zach off guard and made Alyssa even more sad. She seemed to be crying again as she wrapped her arms around Jack's legs. The sight broke Zach's heart. This is the happiest she's ever been and now that's being ripped from her. Zach sighed as he approached the two.

"Do you really have to go? I mean...I don't think your band mates would miss you for one night" Zach mumbled out, catching Jack's attention. The two looked at each other, Zach being the one to break the stare.

"Are you sure? I don't want you to feel uncomfortable" Jack asked back for reassurance. Zach simply nodded, bringing his lower lip inbetween his teeth. Jack watched his movements, his heart swelling at the sight. And with a head nod himself, he bent down to Alyssa's height. He held the sad little girl, whispering in her ear. "Don't cry babe. Looks like I'm able to stay for the night."

Alyssa moved her small hands from her face, wiping a few strands of hair from her face. She was looking between her parents in shock.

"Weally?"

"Yeah. How about you and daddy get going to the car, while I call my friends and say I can't make it" Jack smiled. Alyssa instantly began to shake her head in agreement, grabbing Zach's hand and dragging him in the direction of where the car was. Or at least where she thinks the car was. Jack laughed at the two, soon pulling his phone from his pocket. He pulled up his contacts and pushed the first name.

It being his band mate Corbyn.

It dialed for a few moments, a voice then letting out a small "hello." It sounded hoarse and a little worn out. Jack rolled his eyes as he just assumed Corbyn was screaming at his computer game again.

"Hey Corbs" Jack piped up. He heard movement on his side, before it stopped and Jack only heard Corbyn's soft breathing once more.

"Jack. Dude, where are you?"

"It doesn't matter. I called to say that I won't be heading back to the hotel until a little later" Jack answers, flicking his gaze towards a black car. He could see Zach leaning against it and looking around aimlessly.

"What? Why?" Corbyn asked, making Jack shake his head with a grin.

"Is Daniel near? Put him on the phone" Jack instructed. And Corbyn was only able to give a small "yeah, okay" before he was handing the cellular device over to their other band mate Daniel. And upon hearing his hushed voice, Jack smiled bright. "Dani hey, today went great."

"Oh really, that's great! Send me any pictures you may have took" Daniel spoke with his own raspy voice. It made Jack a little confused; but he shook it off and focused his attention on why he called in the first place.

"Yeah, I'm staying the night for dinner. If I don't make it back before eleven, tell Jonah he can have the rest of my chips" Jack chuckled, making Daniel let out his own giggle.

"Will do. Have fun and send me those pictures" Daniel finished, before being the one to end the call. Jack shook his head once more, and stuffing his phone in his pocket; jogging over to the black car. And immediately when he was next to Zach, a man with a camera had popped up, snapping a few pictures. Zach froze as he seen the chaos, making Jack tell him to get in the car.

"Jack! Jack Avery! Who is he? What are doing here? Is it true you and Gabbie are breaking up!?"

Jack gently pushed the man away as he got in the passenger side of the older car. The guy still stood outside, snapping pictures through the windows. He was obviously asking more questions, but Jack refused to even make eye contact.

"Drive!" Jack exclaimed to Zach who just watched anxiously.

And when they finally took off, the car ride was silent. The only thing heard was the small tunes from the radio and Alyssa's soft humming. Zach took a quick glance at Jack, before putting it back on the road.

"Who's Gabbie?"

°°°

Other books published:

sugar daddy. || why don't we
(Completed)

smoking. || jorbyn
(In the works)

fanfiction. || jachary + dorbyn
(Completed)

-Nevaeh