dinner | 5

Chapter 5:
Dinner

"You broke my heart, you left me scarred"
-Toni Romiti (Switch Up)

Zach unlocked the door to his small home, opening it for Alyssa to bounce in. He watched her go over towards the couch and smile as she seen her toys. While she was playing, Zach went back out towards the car seeing Jack already pulling grocery bags from the trunk. There weren't many as the small family didn't need much to survive. Zach helped with a few bags, locking the car behind the two. And once they entered the house, Alyssa got up from her spot and helped show Jack where the kitchen was.

"Dis is gonna be so fun!" Alyssa squealed as she wrapped her smaller arms around Jack's legs. The male laughed at her excited form, dropping the bags before lifting her in his arms. Jack couldn't be anymore thankful that his daughter (who he is now meeting) was so happy to see him. It's been four years of his and her life gone. A time he knows he'll never get back. And now that he's here, he doesn't think he'll be leaving anytime soon.

"Yeah, I get to eat dinner with my little baby!" Jack cooed as he began to smother Alyssa's face in his sloppy kisses. She giggled, trying her best to push him away.

"There won't be any dinner, if you just stand there and hog my daughter, instead of helping me" The cold voice of Zach spoke up from behind the two. He placed the groceries on the ground as well, before clicking his tongue and rolling his eyes. Jack nodded with a grin, placing the little girl back on her feet. She ran out of the kitchen, leaving the two adults alone. Zach let out a sigh before grabbing a few bags and beginning to take some of the food out.

Jack watched his tense state and moved so he was beside him.

"Our daughter. I only came because you said you wouldn't be uncomfortable-" Jack began.

"And I'm not" Zach quickly snapped back. Jack sighed, placing his hand on the other's shoulder. He could feel Zach suck in a breath.

"So stop acting like you are. I know I haven't been there for you, but I'm here now and I want to help" Jack reassured.

"Well, maybe we don't need your help!" Zach shouted, pushing Jack's hand off his shoulder. He placed the package he had in his hands down, dropping his head. He took deep breaths, not daring to look at the other. He could feel tears sting his eyes, trying his hardest to blink them away.

Jack grabbed Zach by his arms, forcing them to face each other. Zach still didn't look at him. So moving his hands until they cupped Zach's rosy cheeks, the younger finally gave in and looked at the other's hazel eyes. He was drawn in.

Just like he's always been.

"I'm going to help. Whether you like it or not" Zach chuckled lightly at his words. He brought his own hands up so the connected with Jack's. He gripped them.

"Thank you" he whispered for a reply. Jack smiled, before dropping their hands and pulling him in for a hug. Zach's heart ached at the contact, yet didn't stop it. He instead just buried his face in the crook of Jack's neck, tightening the hold.

°°°

"Dinner's ready!" Zach called out. He was placing the meal down on a small table that had four chairs. Two on one side and two on the other. He heard feet enter, along with giggles following closely behind. Looking he could see that it was Alyssa running in, with Jack chasing after her. The little girl squeaked as she was being picked up off the ground by Jack. He tickled her stomach, before placing her down in one of the open chairs. Jack sat beside her, giving her a few pokes in the side here and there.

Zach helped prepare Alyssa a small plate of the freshly cooked food, her staring obviously hungry.

"Tanks daddy" she said, leaning to give him a small peck on the cheek. Zach gave her a goofy smile back, after taking his seat across from the other two. He had gotten himself a small amount, not really feeling the need to eat at the moment. He actually kept playing with it, while listening to his daughter ramble on about what she had done in kindergarten earlier that morning. Jack was interested, not missing a single detail. He didn't think he could, as she just looked so enthusiastic to say what she wanted.

"And then he stole your apple juice?" Jack asked in amazement.

"Yeah! Can you beweave it!?" Alyssa exclaims throwing her hands in the air.

"No, I can't!" Jack answered, mimicking her tone. Zach smirked, placing his fork down. He sat up straight in his seat, putting his attention on Alyssa.

"I think he has a crush on you, princess" Zach blurted. The little girl turned towards her other father and allowed her cheeks to heat as she let her mouth hang open just a little. Jack snickered at her reaction.

"Ew" she dragged as she scrunched her face up in disgust. Both her parents laughed. "Did you have a crush daddy?" Zach went red at her words, flicking his gaze to Jack. He was just smirking.

"Yeah, did you daddy?" Jack asked too. Zach threw him a glare, before looking back at his daughter.

"I did."

"On papa, right? Dat's why you had me?" Alyssa questioned.

"Oh, no. Not on papa" Zach choked out.

"Den who?"

"You're just full of questions aren't you?" Zach replied. Alyssa cheekily nodded, obviously more interested in the topic. "Papa's friend actually" he eventually answered.

"So why you and papa?" She wondered with a head tilt. She even looked at Jack, who couldn't stop smiling.

"I don't know really. I guess you can say that he was always just there" Zach smiled himself, then placing his attention back on his barely touched food. He didn't want to see the knowing smirk Jack had on his face.

°°°

This chapter sort of sucked, but I don't care.

-Nevaeh