the world was as it should be

Betty was sound asleep.

.

I leaned on the door.

"Shit."

Just my luck.

.

There was a very gentle knock on the door.

.

I opened the door and was about to get mad, but it was Nicky.

She was in her alien form.

I forced a smile.

.

She put her hand on my arm.

"Nick and I will keep the others occupied and away from upstairs. You spend some time with your beautiful girlfriend. You both deserve it."

.

Now the smile was genuine. I actually liked our new alien friends.

"Thank you Nicky."

.

She stood on her tip toes and kissed my cheek.

She winked and walked away.

"Don't do anything I wouldn't do," she whispered.

.

I closed the door, smiling and walked to the veranda doors, closing them gently and pulling the curtains across.

I walked back to the bed and lay next to Betty, pulling the blanket, at the foot of the bed, up and over us.

I leaned across her, kissed her on the cheek and lay on my back, staring at the ceiling.

I could hear Betty breathing quietly besides me.

.

I listened carefully for a few minutes, half expecting at any time, to see Calvin flying through the wall or Russell shitting on the floor.

Or hear the Baron calling for his Hummingbird.

Or Harold yelling, 'boobies'.

Or Chief Shitting Crow, bitching about something.

Or even General Bob, accidentally shooting himself in the foot, or worst, someone else in the foot.

.

In spite of all that was constantly happening around me, I had to smile.

.

Three months ago, I was living in a basement apartment, with no windows, trying to find friends on the internet.

I was a loner, an outcast.

No friends. Hell, even the people I worked with, didn't even know me. And I had been there for years.

I didn't even know that the crazy lady that lived above me, my landlady, was actually my mother.

I wonder if she knew?

Of course she did.

But why wouldn't she let me know?

Was she protecting me?

And if she was, from who?

.

I remembered the text I got from her.

The Baron was right.

We had to find Ethel Sueann.

I had to find my mother and get to the bottom of this whole shit storm that was all around me.