ten

Jimmy

My eyes slowly opened and all I saw was white.brightness.lights. I closed them tightly and opened them again. I slowly sat up and looked around. I'm in a hospital. I looked down. O was in a blue nightgown. There was a needle in my arm and wires and patches. Memories from a few hours ago flooded my mind. I clenched my jaw.
Ruby. What happened to her? Where is she?
"Look whose up!" A middle aged nurse came in. She smiled very widely at me and hurried to my side. "How're we doin kiddo?"
I blinked at her.
"Um fine."
"Quite an accident you had...." her eyes met mine and I knew that she knew what happened, "we will discuss that with a therapist and you mother later."
"My mom?"
"She was the first one we called. You got her scared straight. She came in her frantically looking for you, sobbing."
I sighed.
"Where's Ruby?" I asked
The nurse looked at me then back at her screen and looked down.
She sighed and went to the other side of my room and opened the curtain. Ruby was in bed, motionless. She had oxygen hooked up and wired and needles everywhere, swallowing her.
Tears welled in my eye and I laid back and stared at her. They nurse started to close the curtain.
"No please leave it open." I said
"I don't-"
"Please."
She nodded solemnly and left the room.
"Ruby. Ruby. I'm sorry. This is all my fault. I'm such an idiot. I don't deserve you. I'm sorry, Ruby." I clenched my eyes shut as hot tears welled.
I heard a knock at the door.
"Come in." I said
My mom opened the door and rushed to my side.
"Jimmy! Are you okay? Are you hurt?" She cupped my face in her hands
"I'm fine, mom." She kissed my cheek. My eyes caught sight of someone in the doorway, and they went wide. Anger welled up inside me.
"Jimmy before-" my mom started.
"Why the hell is he here." My has remained clenched as I glared at the man in the doorway. My father.
"Now that's no way to greet your old man." He grasped his hat and started to walk towards me.
"Don't take another step. Get out of here." I warned him but there wasn't much I could do except hurl insults at him.
"Jimmy. I'm not hear to hurt you. I'm concerned." He looked into my eyes.
"Bull! You don't care! Get the hell out of here!" I raised my voice.
"Jimmy!" My mom cried.
"Jimmy I want to make things better. This was a very life changing moment to me."
"GET OUT OF HERE! YOU NEVER CARED FOR ME OR MOM YOU LEFT! YOU JUST LEFT WITHOUT SAYING WHY!" I screamed and cried.
"What's going on!?" A nurse ran in
"Nurse, tell him to go. Tell him to get out!" I yelled and cried
I turned away and looked at Ruby.
Monitors and beeping sounds starting going off. My eyes widened
"Nurse! I think something's wrong!" I yelled but no one heard me.
I ripped my IV out and struggled to get out of bed. Someone yelled my name but I didn't hear. I walked over to Ruby. Her eyes were fluttering.
A nurse grabbed my arm and another wheeled Ruby's bed out of the room.
I yelled.
Then everything went dark again.