twenty-one

Ruby

We didn't waste one day of the month we had left together. We spent every waking minute together.

•••

I was perched on a rock above the softly flowing river. I had my favorite swim suit on. A black high waist bottom with a matching top. Over it I had one of Jimmy's shirts which was basically a dress on me.
"Ruby come in the water!" He demanded as he splashed me.
I looked at him and glared.
"Hey! Come in the water!" He begged
"I dunno," I shrugged and stood up and walked back. "Depends how much you want me."
I could hear him say "challenge accepted"
He splashed around in the water until he reached me and I went back down on the rock to meet him. His slid his tattooed hands up the shirt and around my waist. I slowly took off my shirt.
He then grabbed me tighter and threw me in the water with him.
"JIMMY!" I screamed with laughter as I went under water. I came up for air gasping.
"It's cold!"
"You questioned my love for you." He shrugged.
I stuck out my bottom lip.
"Okay okay, I'm sorry." He swam closer to me
"Sorrys not gonna cut it this time." I put my hands around his necks.
"Oh really?" I felt his strong hands around me. He leaned into me and we lost each other in a kiss. It was like I hadn't drank for days and I stumbled upon water. His lips were water to my soul. My stomach tightened. He kissed my neck gently.
"Jimmy if you give me a hickey my parents will kill me." I giggled
"Isn't that what makeup is for?" I felt him smile into my neck.
I blushed.
As it got later we walked up shore and laid under a tree and watched the sunset. Jimmy was ever so lightly dragging his finger up and down my thigh, lost in thought.
"What are you thinking about?" I asked him
"You." He smiled
"What about me?"
"About how much I'll miss seeing your face and hearing your voice and kissing your lips." He looked up into my eyes
I looked down. I couldn't take the fact that I had to leave him.
He sensed my sadness and wrapped his hands around me and pulled me close. He laid me back so he was hovering over me. He gently kissed my lips. Then, he carried me to his car and sat me in the passenger seat. I smiled gently as he picked up our blankets and towels. We drove back to my house. He walked me to the door.
"Thank you for the funnest day ever." I said
"Anytime princess." He kissed my cheek and left. I sighed as I walked up to my room.
Why must all good things come to an end?