twenty-six

Jimmy

I could believe my eyes. I was driving down the road. I saw a head of dark curls and I thought To myself, I know those curls. And when I got closer and saw electric blue eyes, my heart stopped, the world stopped. I felt like my breathing had stopped.
And she stopped walking too. There we were. I was leaning out my car window and she was staring at me, trying not too but she couldn't help it.
"Ruby." I said her name and it rolled off my tongue. So sweet, I missed saying it.
"Hello Jimmy." She looked down. Hearing her sweet voice again was like life. Flowing into my soul.
"What are you doing in town?" I asked
"Business. For a clients wedding." She kept her eyes fixated on the ground.
"Do you want to um, talk? Please?"
"I don't think that's a good idea."
"Please, Ruby?" She looked up at me and hurried across the street and crawled in the passenger seat. It felt like we were kids again. Sneaking away.
"What do you want to talk about?" She asked, twitching her nose.
"I want to know what you've been up to for the last 5 years."
"Just life. I've been really busy. College, my career."
I nodded.
"What happened to us?" I asked the question we were both anticipating.
"We were just kids Jimmy." She said
"Yeah. Kids. A couple of kids who were madly in love." I looked out the window.
"We didn't know what love was. We were young and naive."
"Yeah we were. But it was love Ruby."
"Love doesn't do this." She said. I knew exactly what she was talking about
"Ruby-"
"Why didn't your write? Why didn't you call? Text?"
"Ruby? What? I wrote you every week for a year and a half. You never replied. You never answered the phone." I said
"Jimmy." She shook her head ,"no okay? This ain't my fault don't put the blame on me. This has been over for a few years let's put it behind us and let's just live."
"But it wasn't over was it? And it still isn't." I said
She looked at me.
"I never stopped loving you. Never stopped thinking about you."
And with that she got out my my car and ran down the sidewalk.