twelve

Jimmy

It was mid December when I went back to school. It was as horrifying as I thought it would be. People never used to get to me, I'd just shrug them off and ignore them or flip them off. But now, life's different. I didn't realize how much I kinda liked living. Only because of Ruby. She showed me that love is real and it's out there. I don't think I'd ever have the guts to tell her that though. It's too personal.
All I heard when I walked through the school halls was whispering and snickering. A couple girls came up to me and asked me if I was okay. They looked so frightened. Like they had just saw a ghost. I didn't know how to respond. All I did was nod. What was I supposed to say? That I had never been better? I felt like I was carrying a burden of guilt, shame, even anger. Part of me wishes I would've died. Part of me is so glad I didn't. And that's when my eyes caught Ruby walking past me. People were more warm and welcome to her. They went up to her and hugged her and gave her cards. All I could do is stare at her. I literally stopped walking. Her face went red as people came up to her. She smiled and received the gifts and sympathy. Our eyes met and her smile faded and she kept walking, a little faster.
"Ruby." I mumbled.
She hesitated but kept walking.
"Uh. Mr. Newton!" I looked down to see our principles assistant, Ms.Marion, looking up at me. She pushed her glasses up her nose. She was holding a notebook and a pen.
"Yeah?" I asked
"Due to recent happenings, your parents are putting you in a different classroom for the remainder in the school year." She whispered.
"My parents?" I cringed
"Yes you're mother and father."
"I don't have a father." I mumbled
"Here is the schedule." She handed me the paper and rushed off to catch up to Ruby.
I watched Ruby communicate with her. She was so cute when she talked to people older than her. She had such an appreciation for them. She smiled as they parted and kept walking.
I looked at the schedules and what my next class was.
12am-lunch in conference room
I looked at the clock. 11:50 am.
I sighed and started walking.

Ruby
The world slowed down as our eyes met. I wanted to bad to talk to him. But everything my parents told me at the hospital kept repeating in my head. Like a broken record. The words became fainter and fainter. But still screaming in my mind.
I shook the thoughts from my head as best as I could when Ms. Marion gave me my new schedule. I was going to be in a "special" group for the next 5-6 months. Great.
I don't doubt that my mind is a little messed up now from the events but I don't think it's necessary that my parents do this to me. Maybe they are just trying to separate me from Jimmy. But he could be in that group too. Maybe they don't think his parents care enough about him to do that.
I looked at the clock and my schedule. 7 minutes till lunch. I walked through the halls to the conference room. It wasn't a big room. But a good size. I gazed out the big windows as I walked up to the doors. As I reached for the handle so did a big, tattooed hand. My hand stopped short as I looked up. Him. My heart skipped a beat.
"Hey." He said
I opened my mouth to speak but I didn't say anything. I just looked down as he somehow opened the door and I walked in. It was me, him, a couple disabled students, and a teacher. It was Mr.Addams. He was young and upbeat. Perfect for working with this group.
"Hey guys! Attention please!" He got the attention of his students. "We have two new friends joining us! We have Ruby and Jimmy!"
They gave us their hi's and we all sat down.
Somehow, I felt really welcome here.
"Alright guys, you know where the lunch room is, I trust you guys to find it. Go get some lunch, Ruby and Jimmy stay here."
The 3 other students left.
"Alright guys, principle told me what happened let's talk." Mr.Addams looked at us. He motioned us to sit down and we did. 2 seats in between us.
"Let's nose a little closer so I don't break my neck looking back and forth." He chuckled and Jimmy moved over one seat.
"Okay. So I understand, Jimmy, you have problems at home which resulted to the event that occurred."
"No."
"I'm sorry?" Mr. Addams eyes fixed on Jimmy
"I can handle what happens at home."
"Are you comfortable talking about this in front of Ruby?"
Jimmy thought for a moment and shook his head.
"Alright let's revisited that, Ruby, any problems at home?"
"I'd rather talk about this in private." I said quietly. I felt Jimmy look at me.
"Understandable. Okay Jimmy go get some lunch." Mr.Addams smiled at Jimmy and he walked out.
"Let's talk." Mr.Addams smiled.
"I'm not very good at that but um....well my parents are great. They've always wanted the best for me and supported me in most of my ideas and dreams and-"
"Let's stop right there." Mr. Addams said, "lets talk about you. How do YOU feel."
"I don't know."
"What do they think of him?" He asked
"My parents? Of Jimmy? Well, they don't like him. They don't want me around him but they don't understand."
"Understand what?"
"That I feel like I can do anything when I'm with him. I feel like I can talk to him about whatever I want and he wouldn't judge me like they do. I feel like I want to be open around him." I tried to hold back tears.
"And that's great, Ruby! Tell them that!"
"I can't." My nose twitched ," they don't understand." I clenched my eye shut.
"Tourette's?"
"Yeah." I nodded.
"Tourette's is one of the most common but also uncommon syndrome I come across with student. I see it a lot but rarely. You know what I'm saying?" He asked
"Yeah yeah."
"I know this whole special group isn't what you want but, I have a feelings it's going to be really good for you Ruby." He knodded
"Me too." And I meant it