thirteen

Jimmy

12 days till Christmas. I've been going to my different group classes for about 4 days now. And I actually enjoy it. I've made friends with the other students.
"Alright alright!" Mr.Addams walked into the classroom that morning as everyone settled in their seats. I glanced at Ruby who was looked at Mr.Addams. Her nose twitches but she remained composed. I looked away.
The class went one. When Mr.Addams would make a joke I would look at Ruby because she would always laughed. She laughed at everyone's jokes even if they were awful. I loved watching her laugh. It fills you with good feelings. It makes you want to laugh. And I do, every time. And sometimes we make eye contact. She always looks away. But I don't.
After class

"Hey Jimmy!" One of my classmates, Rikki, who has Down syndrome, called me just as I was walking out the door.
"What's up Rikki?" We did this hand shake thing he insisted on having.
"When are you gonna ask Ruby out?"
I was a little stunned by his question.
"What?"
"Well I know you like her. We all do."
I looked back to see the other students, besides Ruby, standing a couple feet behind us chuckling.
"Really funny Rikki, really funny." I rolled my eyes and smirked
"No really I'm serious. I see the way you look at her." He nodded
"Rikki lets just say I blew it with Ruby." I placed a hand on his shoulder and walked away.
"The winter formal is coming up FYI! Talk to her!" Rikki yelled and I chuckled and kept walking. I knew he was right.

Ruby

I love my new classes. I feel so welcome. I feel like I can speak my mind. I talk more and I twitch without feeling ashamed. I love my classmates. They are like my siblings.
"Hi Claudia!" After class I always talk to Claudia. She has ADHD, OCD and Tourette's.
"Hi Ruby!" She made a sound as she said that. She has vocal Tourette's.
"Are you going to the winter formal?"
She started fidgeting with things on the table.
"I-I-I am. Rikki asked me." She looked up at me and smiled
"Ooooo! Hot date!"
She laughed. I loved her laugh. It was so loud and crazy.
"What about y-y-you?" She asked
"Nah. I'll probably just stay home."
"No you have to come. G-g-go with Jimmy." She nodded her head aggressively
"Uh no I think he hates me." I laughed
"No. I see the way he looks at you and the way you look at h-h-him."
"What do you mean?" I slowly sat down next to her
"H-he looks at you like a person whose n-never seen the sun and y-you're the sun. "
"Really?"
"Yes." I believe Claudia because she couldn't lie. She couldn't hurt an ant.
"I gotta go, Claudia. See you later." I smiled at her and left.
The only reason I believe in love is because of Jimmy. He's the only person I like and would want to love. But it feels impossible.
I walked up to the big wall of windows and looked outside. Snow was falling from the sky, coating everything in sight. It was mesmerizing.
"Ruby." I heard a familiar voice walk beside me. I looked down and saw two big tattooed hands rest on the ledge.
I looked to my right and saw Jimmy, jaw clenched and eyes fixed on the snow.
"Jimmy?"
"I'm sorry." His eyebrows furrowed as he said that
"Don't be."
"You almost died. All because I wanted too." His hands grasped harder. His jaw was clenched so tight I thought it was going to snap in half.
"Things happen, Jimmy. That happened. It's a part of life."
"Why are you doing this? I don't deserve this." He said
"What do you mean?"
"Why are you talking to me?"
"Because you care."
"I do." He nodded
"What now."
"I don't know. Don't your parents hate me?"
"Yeah. They told me to never talk to you." I said
"Then why are you talking to me?" He looked at me in the eye and I did the same
"Because I don't care what they say. It's my damn life." I smiled a little
I could tell he was amused by that.
"Wow." He nodded and crossed his arms
"What?" I smiled
"You're different."
"I'd hope so." I gave him one last smile and walked away.