twenty-eight

Ruby

I looked at myself in the mirror.
If I'm going out with the guy who broke my heart and is begging for me back I'm going to make sure he knows what he lost.
I walked over to my suitcase and pulled out a fitted red dress. It was the dress I was going to wear to the wedding. As long as I keep it clean it will be perfectly fine.

I touched up my lipstick and took one last look in the mirror

I heard a knock at the door.
Do I really want to do this?
Not really. But maybe I need answers.
I put my shoes on and grabbed my coat and purse and opened the door.
Jimmy stood there looking mighty fine.
"Wow you look stunning." He said
"Thank you." I tried to sound as monotone as possible. He looked so good though. I had only seen him in a suit once or twice but we were teens then, now he is a man.
"Can we go now?" I asked as he stopped staring at me.
"Uh yeah yes." He cleared his throat.
I nodded and closed my door and we walked to the elevators.
"So where would you like to eat?" Jimmy asked
"You know, I really thought you would, I don't know, plan something out since this was all your idea." I said
"See it was my plan so I was hoping you'd say that." He said
I looked at him and a tiny smile threatened to show but I looked away at the floor.
We walked to his car, his old black Toyota.
"You still have this?" I asked
"Of course I do." He opened my door, "its where we had our first kiss."
I looked up at him, remembering that night.
Flashback
"Jimmy im serious I really need to get home." It was another cold winter night and I had snuck out with Jimmy.
"Okay okay , lets go to my car." We walked towards it and he opened my door.
He got in the drivers seat and just sat there.
"Well what are you waiting for in freezing!" I exclaimed
"Why are you always worried about your parents?" He asked, completely ignoring my comment.
"Because I respect them." I said
"There's a fine line between respect and dictating." He said in a soft voice
"Jimmy, my parents are different and I see them differently than you do."
"Yeah I know." He looked away
"What's wrong?"
"They hold you back." He said
"I know." I looked at the floor
"They don't even know about us." He said
"Yeah but there's some things they can't control. I love you and that's all that matters. Yeah we are young and pretty dumb but we will find a way. We will find a way in this world and create a life out of it." I smiled at him
"I love you Ruby." He said.
"Gee thanks." I blushed and he put a hand up to my face and we kissed for the very first time.
-------

"Ruby are you okay?" Jimmy asked
"Uh yeah." I quickly sat in the car and out my seatbelt on.
"I'm sorry if that's a sore subject." Jimmy said
"No it's not. I just kinda forgot all that after a while." I said
He shifted and looked at me. "I never forgot."
Chills ran through my body.

Jimmy

I wasn't surprised that she had forgotten. Just kinda hurt. But me and her sitting in my car again and going out was so nostalgic. It made me miss her and us. I wanted it back so bad but I don't think she did.
"Where are we going?" She asked again.
"Thought we'd go to our favorite place as kids." I said, I swallowed hard, expecting some sort of a reply.
She nodded and looked forward.
The silence was like agony, it seemed like it took forever to get to the old diner.
When we did get there I could breath again. I went to open her door but she already had.
"I can open a door." She smirked and walked inside. I scratched the back of my head and followed her into the diner.
"Welcome! Sit wherever you'd like." A busy waitress rushed by us.
Ruby walked to a nearby booth and took her coat off and sat down.
I slide in across from her.
"I wonder if anybody will recognize us." I chuckled
"I'm sure someone will. We are kinda overdressed." She smirked.
I smiled at her and looked over the menu.
"Hasn't changed a bit." She smiled fondly as she looked around.
"It's pretty nostalgic." I peeked a glance at her.
"Alright what can I get you two to drink?" The waitress looked up from her notepad and gasped, "oh my gosh! Ruby? Jimmy? Together?"
"No no no." Ruby laughed
"She was in town and I thought I'd take her to dinner so we could catch up."
The waitress nodded and winked at me.
"You guys are so cute! Ruby your gorgeous."
Ruby blushed ," thank you. How have you been?"
"Oh you know, still trucking along. But you guys coming back here together really brightened my day. I've missed you two."
"Me too." I nodded and swallowed hard. Ruby looked up at me with her big blue eyes.
"Um," Ruby broke the silence, "can I get a sweet tea?"
"Of course, Jimmy?"
"Coke."
She nodded and walked off.
"So what are you going to get?" Ruby asked
I closed the menu, "fries and a chocolate shake."
Ruby laughed, "really?"
"Yes really! What are you getting salmon or some fancy fish thing?"
"No!" She closed her menu, "thank goodness this isn't one of those dinners! Make the fry a late and make that two shakes."
"Wow." I nodded
"What? You think the city turned me into some rich, stuck up, sushi loving, person??"
I shrugged, "just surprised your not one of those zero calorie soy milk latte girls."
"Excuse me," she cleared her throat, "I'll have you know I ate an entire large pizza New Year's Eve night."
"That is pretty impressive."
"Didn't gain a pound or anything." She kept the proud look on her face
"Alright here we go." The waitress set our drinks down, "alright whose hungry?"
"Large fry, two chocolate shakes." I smiled at Ruby
"Sounds good!" She took the menus and turned around to another couple.

Ruby

I told myself I'd stay playing hard to get. And I am. But I couldn't ignore the fact that he's still the person I have the most fun with.
"So what have you been up to?" I sipped on my sweet tea.
"Oh, not much honestly. After high school, went off the mechanics and automotive school. I work at a car repair place." His blue eyes still pierced my soul.
"You never left." I said
"What?"
"You never left this town."
"I couldn't. I tried to but I couldn't." He looked down
"What do you mean you tried to?"
He put his hand behind his neck and looked up at me, "I really tried. I tried to forget us."
"Jimmy-" I looked away
"Every night it's like you would keep my awake. I would remember all of our conversations and dates. I tried so damn hard to forget you. I even dated someone who was the complete opposite of you but everything reminded me of you. I couldn't get you out of my head. It's like when I looked into her brown eyes, I saw blue. She kissed me and I felt your lips. I moved to California for a month, trying to see if I could break away. I couldn't, I had to stay here to stay sane. You weren't with me but this place reminded me of you so much, it was all I had left of you."
I put a piece of hair behind my ear and swallowed hard.
What do you say to that? What do you say to the person whose heart is broken because of you?
"I'm sorry." I fought back tears
"No, don't be sorry," he reached for my frail hand draped over the table ,"i needed that time, to figure out what really mattered in life. I always felt that I had to stay with you because you saved my life. But now I know I want to be with you. By choice."
"Jimmy but, I don't know what to say." I dropped my shoulders, "how could this work?"
"We can make it work. We did it before, your parents hated me. But we made it work didn't we? You said we would make a life together and live. I never forgot about that." His raspy voice struck every bone in my body. Spreading hope.
"Here we go kids! Can I get you anything else?" The waitress brought our food and shakes. We looked up at her and just shook our heads. "Okay." She shrugged and left us.
"I don't know." I delicately took a fry and bit it.
"Well I do." He sat up straight and licked the whip cream off his shake.
I laughed, he had always done that.
"What?" He said
"You still lick the whip cream off first."
"You still mix yours in?" He motioned to my shake
"It's the only way to drink them." I stirred my shake.
"Alright alright. I know it'll be hard. But we can do it. Let's try okay? I don't want to loose you." He said
I pondered for a moment, "okay."
"Really?"
"Yeah why not." I grinned
"Ruby I love you!" He beamed
"Yeah I know." I rolled my eyes and smirked
"I mean it." He said
I threw a fry at him.
"Ah!" He opened his mouth to catch it but failed miserably.
"Loser." I mumbled
"Nah," he shook his head, "as long as I got you I'm a winner."